[Updated] Unofficial iPTF IRC :D

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Andy Huang, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm on the VoIP channel quite a bit lately, which is also on freenode.... So, for what its worth, if anyone is interested, I'm reviving the freenode IRC channel which was made before the quakenet one.

server: irc.freenode.org
    channel: #ipodtouchfans

For those of you that are regularly on the go and want to join us from your iPod Touch / iPhone; you can install Colloquy (yes, I've heard about it turn red after a while, and sorry, I can't fix it). Configuration information are as follows:
    Host Name: irc.freenode.org
    Port: 6667
    Uses SSL: (OFF) [||||| O ]

Fill out the identity section, and leave Authentication section blank.

Join Rooms: #ipodtouchfans

If you have black text area for Colloquy, please get this fix here: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2060

Edit:
    Thanks to Noisey for this awesome guide!!!:

I've also added a web-link for those that don't want to install anything (though, you lack a lot of customization and miss out a lot of fun!): http://misc.chiisana.net/iPodTouchFansIRC/

You will need Java for your browser to run the web chat though... If it doesn't work, you can get it here: http://sun.java.com

Due to popular request, here's the guide on how to cloak your IP address on freenode:

To get ip cloaking you need to take these steps:
    1) Register two nicks with nickserv; you can register the nick you're currently on using this command:
    Code:
    /msg nickserv register <password>
    2) Set an email to your primary nick:
    Code:
    /msg nickserv set hide email on
    /msg nickserv set email <your-email-address>
    3) Link the secondary nick with your primary nick, go on your second nick and use this command:
    Code:
    /msg nickserv link <primary_nick> <primary_nick_password>
    4) Finally, join #freenode and ask if your account can have host cloak enabled, you can join using this command:
    Code:
    /join #freenode
    Please note:
    1) This is not a moderator's hang out... well, I am there as "Alfarin", but I'm not there to moderate. So if you want to report posts, feel free to do so there, but it may not be as effective as clicking the report icon like this:

Please Register or Log in to view images

near the post that are problematic.

2) Have some fun

If you have a trivia bot or anything, feel free to bring it in! Don't need to ask me for permission. It's easier to apologize later than to ask permission up front. Just make sure it doesn't spam the channel and get everyone angry. If people complain, turn it off temporarily until we can sit down and discuss it as a group

Cheers!
  2. jungzandvliet

jungzandvliet New Member

(10chars)
  3. Evalocity7

Evalocity7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yay! Finally the chat is back!
  4. Andy Huang

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Evalocity and jungzandvliet are both now experts at host cloaking... appearently, the instructions I gave above was wrong... So please do feel free to ask them how to cloak your IP address when you do decide to come join us

5. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  6. Andy Huang

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    For now, both will remain open. I'm not heading over the the quakenet one because I'm too lazy to open another server tab for just one channel, and sign up on another network. I welcome everyone to join iether or, or both

IRC works in such a way that everyone can have their own channel, and it doesn't really matter who's running them as long as there's no trolls

7. Noisey

Noisey New Member

Help on joining/connecting to the server/channel

Joining The Server & Channel:
    To join the server using basic mIRC you do the following:

Step 1:Hit "File then "Select Server", a box will appear. (This is where you add all the server details and your Nickname etc.)

Step 2:Hit the "Connect" tab in the top left corner, and enter in all the details.

Step 3:Hit the "Server" tab underneath the "Connect" tab, then you will need to hit the "Add" option to add a new server which will be the server you will be connecting to.

Step 4:"Description" will be iPodTouchFans or anything you want to set it too, "IRC Server" will be irc.freenode.org , "Port(s)" will be 6667

Step 5: After you have done all this quick and easy setup your all set to connect to the server! By hitting the "Connect to Server" button

Step 6: Now once your connected you will see a server status page and at the bottom you will be able to type with a blinking cursor as you would normally see. So now you type in the channel you want to join which will be /j #ipodtouchfans which is where we are! Just so you know you need to put /j infront of the channel name since it is a short code and stands for /join one you have typed this in just hit the Enter key and you should see a new page appear which will be the channel #ipodtouchfans and you will see on the right hand side all the names of current users inside the channel.

Step 6: Enjoy the stay and feel free to ask any questions you need answering!

Any questions? just leave a reply or PM.

Noisey.
  8. Andy Huang

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Isn't it awesome? It's dead, because people like this comes in and expect us to be camping there 24/7 to give answer within one minute and five second... If everyone does this, we won't ever bump into one another!! Leave the chat window open, and we'll respond soon enough

9. skyline_-

skyline_- New Member

Thats to bad I wasn't in there to greet him?

10. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You might have scared him off sooner.

Anyways, come on guys there are always a few people in it (I'm usually there from about 7- 12 EST), and we're glad to help you out with any problems. You don't even need to talk about the iPod! Just come and hang out