Update JB 2.0.0 to 2.0.1

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by bwilking, Aug 10, 2008.

1. bwilking

bwilking New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Im wondering- is there anyway to take my Jailbroken 2.0.0 to a Jailbroken 2.0.1 without losing everything???

If not, this seems like a major hit on jailbreaking, if it cant be updated...

Is it even worth going to 2.0.1???
  2. AngelSynth

AngelSynth Banned

it's your choice as to whether it's worth it or not

I'd suggest backing up your apps through SSH before upgrading if you don't wish to loose all your 3'rd party material upon restore
  3. bwilking

bwilking New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    so I could copy all my apps with SSH, JB 2.0.1, and SSH the apps back in? That would be pretty slick....where are the apps at?
  4. Sanek

Sanek New Member

The 3rd party apps are linked to by the /Applications/ link in the root. I want to extend this question a bit, however.

What exactly would be the steps in ensuring that everything is backed up/restored correctly? i.e. so we don't cause any Cydia problems and so that it still knows what we have installed on the new firmware, as well as all the other stuff that we might want to keep a copy of?
  5. bwilking

bwilking New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thats a good point, because copying the apps and themes is easy enough, but we wouldnt want Cydia to get all confused....hmm.

And what about packages that arent graphic apps...hmm.

I wonder if just copying the Cydia app will do it.
  6. AngelSynth

AngelSynth Banned

the only way to truly make sure there are no problems would to back nothing up, and reinstall every app you had previously on 2.1

the only other way is to simply drag and drop them into SSH and set permissions

there's no guarantee they'll work 100% but I usually use this method for backing up simple things like small apps, themes, and customize packages
  7. bwilking

bwilking New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The other thing is AppStore Apps. Because theyre not in the Applications folder....anyone know where?
  8. Sanek

Sanek New Member

Another question about backing up/installing. I know there was a maximum limit to how many apps you could have on 1.x.x firmware and I heard that after 6 pages of apps, you get the wheel of death on 2.0.0 firmware (actually I got it myself, but I'm not positive that this was the reason, it was around the 7 page mark though), so does the new firmware still have that problem?
  9. AngelSynth

AngelSynth Banned

no, it only gives you a SWOD if you encounter problems in the partition...

you can set a designated partition in Winpwn

also bear in mind that installing Cydia quells this problem by symbolically linking the /Applications directory (AKA, symlinking)

although firmware 2.x is quite buggy, this could be a "sleeper" bug...

I'm not sure, there are tons of bug reports from 2.x daily that it's difficult to remember what silly thing gives you a SWOD...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    As I've stated above^ cydia symbolically links /applications to /var/stash/randomnumbers123/applications I believe...
  10. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just to let you know I performed the update and for once all my app data restored perfectly from the backup (it actually did what it was suppose to, i'm shocked

Please Register or Log in to view images

). Also I for the most part think my ipod still feels the same (same annoying crashes and freezes, almost feels like there are more bugs or something; like sometimes when I try to open the settings window it just sits there with a blank window :\ and hitting home didn't do anything, also sometimes cydia doesn't respond correctly same problem with hitting home doesn't do anything) I did notice that they did fix the keyboard a little and the weird safari glitch that happens when typing in a text field. Honestly i don't really feel like it was worth it since my iPod still doesn't feel stable.