iPhone 3G Update iPhone 3G to 4.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by impulse29, Jul 20, 2010.

1. impulse29

impulse29 New Member

Here's the situation: I have an iPhone 3G that is jailbroken at 3.1.2 and I would like to get it to 4.0. The iPhone's power button is broken, so I'm unable to get it into DFU mode. I've made a custom ipsw file to get it to 4.0 using pwnagetool (because the dev team say that it can be used in recovery OR DFU mode). But when I put it in recovery mode and update with iTunes, it gives me a 1604 error.

Any suggestions? I haven't tried using 4.0.1 yet...

Oh, and I'm using os x 10.6.4 w/ iTunes 9.2 ...
  2. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You could try this tool which puts the device in a pseudo-DFU mode.
  3. impulse29

impulse29 New Member

Hmmm, looks interesting, but the iPhone is still in recovery mode loop so the program doesn't see it (nor do I know whether the pseudo-DFU mode is sufficient for updating?).

I do have iDEB, but the pc I use is 64 bit and the app doesn't like it...
  4. dannheisser

dannheisser New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    recommend you don't upgrade to 4.0 it doesn't run well on 3g
  5. CBTOUCH

CBTOUCH New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    ^^^^^ Agreed. I bought my 3g iphone secondhand with 4.0 already installed. I sold my 2g iphone (3.1.2) to pay for a 3g and upon receiving it, i wished i'd have stuck with the 2g. I FINALLY managed to get it to downgrade back to 3.1.3 and now it runs perfectly. 4.0 was installed without wallpapers or multitasking and it still majorly lagged. Took about 3 minutes just for the camera to load up!
    4.0 is probably fine for the 3gs but i'm certainly not going to be upgrading my 3g again!
  6. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I have my 3G on 4.0.1 jailbroken. (Well, all I did was enable Multitasking and delete a lot of launch daemons.) Everything runs amazingly now. And I don't know why they disabled Multitasking, it runs perfectly... (Since it automatically quits apps when the RAM is full... Only like two or three apps can stay open but hey, at least it works.) I love streaming Pandora while on Twitter.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Plus NOTHING lags now. I am genuinely convinced that it secretly turned my iPhone into a 3Gs. (I don't use wallpapers though, they are retarded looking.)