Update for MobileRSS out-fixes crashing issues and adds some enhancements

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by 996gt2, Mar 21, 2008.

1. 996gt2

996gt2 New Member

I started installer during a long physics lab today (had wifi since we use laptops to collect data), and saw a new version of MobileRSS. The package says 2.4.2, but the actual loading screen says "Version 2.5." I rebooted my iPod after installing it (per the instructions), and saw no crashes while loading various feeds, navigating back and forth, or returning to the main screen after reading a bunch of feeds. I've used it for about 25-30 minutes continuously now without any crashes, so I think that the update definitely fixes some of the stability issues that MobileRSS had before. The update also added nicer fading transitions between settings menus, which is another good touch.

Try it out...with the stability fixes, I prefer MobileRSS to the newer SmartRSS, since the latter doesn't display all feeds properly yet (especially Engadget/Slashdot posts with pictures) and doesn't allow resizing so that all the text can be fitted onto the screen width-wise. It also won't save many feeds for reading offline, so you MUST have wifi to use some RSS feeds with SmartRSS 1.0. SmartRSS also doesn't support functions such as deleting read posts and changing fonts/font size, etc...about the only thing it's got over MobileRSS is a slightly nicer transition between menus, which is mostly a moot point now that the new version of MobileRSS has updated transitons. I honestly don't see you you guys can think an almost-beta version of SmartRSS to be better when it lacks a lot of the features of MobileRSS, which is now stable with the update.
  2. cryptsucks

cryptsucks Banned

smartrss is out buddddy.. its a lot better then mobilerss
  3. 996gt2

996gt2 New Member

I have used both SmartRSS and MobileRSS...version 1.0 of SmartRSS has many functionality issues, especially with feeds like Engadget and Slashdot that display pictures with each post. SmartRSS requires you to go forward a post and then come back to the current one in order to see ALL of the post, or else it cuts off half of the post due to the picture. Also, it doesn't allow ANY resizing right now, so you have to scroll left and right as well as up and down. Then there's the lack of automatic feed saving for offline reading with some feeds (MobileRSS does this with most feeds) and the lack of font/font size changing in version 1.0 of SmartRSS.

MobileRSS doesn't have any of the issues in version 1.0 of SmartRSS and also has more features; with the new stability fixes, the program runs great (hasn't frozen my iPod in over an hour of use...the older version would crash every 15 mins)...I honestly can't see why people believe a barely out of beta version of SmartRSS to be better than the updated version of MobileRSS when it no longer suffers the locking up issue.
  4. segaman72

segaman72 New Member

I saw the update, and downloaded mobilerss too...i also like the fact that the offline view is much better supported than it is with smartRSS. I like how it shows how many unread posts right on the icon in the homescreen. The new update makes it stable and I prefer this app now!!
  5. booboodandee

booboodandee New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    the new version of MobileRSS doesn't work at all for me on 1.1.1 (previous version used to be fine) - the app opens but closes to a blank screen when you do a quick add :-(

SmartRSS has a lovely interface but is very buggy and needs to be updated

both these apps are still full of bugs

so no RSS for the time being.... http://static-cache.ifans.com/images2/smilies/frown.gif

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. arogon

arogon New Member

I hate the way SmartRSS doesnt autoupdate itself. thats the number 1 reason why im staying with mobilerss
  7. jmiz9000

jmiz9000 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    smartrss is better
  8. dieselboy27

dieselboy27 New Member

smartrss is my choice

With smartrss you have to manually input your feeds, which is a hassle but... you get offline rss viewing. Unlike mobilerss, smartrss actually works well and looks awesome. I've had alot less problem with smart than mobile, and I have the latest of both. Sure they can improve smartrss, but when it is it's going to be one of my favorite applications on the ipod touch.

I'm hoping that in future updates they have auto update, full article, and maybe some kind of tone when new feeds come in

9. popoq

popoq New Member

where are i find feeds to put into smartrss

where can I find feeds website into smartrss,
    I want to put yahoo.com.hk but this doesn't work , how can find the correct feeds website into Smartrss