Update error 1602 messed up my iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tranthom618, Nov 24, 2008.

1. tranthom618

tranthom618 New Member

When I tried to update my ipod touch an error occured halfway through; error 1602. So I spent 2 hours searching the apple site and google. I found http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275 which is the best that can match my problem.

So the error wasn't just a harmless error that just prevented me from updating my ipod... My ipod is stuck on the connect to iTunes screen and when I do connect it iTunes doesn't even show the ipod touch exists, but my computer does (it makes that noise that a usb device connected). I've tried every solution Apple suggested, hold home and sleep/wake button for 10 seconds, uninstall iTunes, Bonjour, etc, and I called Apple Technical Support and the best they could come up with (after 2 hours of talking) was to take the damn thing back to the store and exchange it for a new one.

Unfortunately the first time I didn't notice the error, but when I went to update my iPod touch I noticed the error. My new iPod is entirely locked up like before.

Note: Yes I do have iTunes 8.0.whatever.

So is there any way to revert the ipod back to the previous version?
  2. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    So you tried DFU mode?
  3. tranthom618

tranthom618 New Member

Well I can't access the restore button on itunes so no, I haven't tried that because it doesn't "exist" for me.
  4. r0b3rt_213

r0b3rt_213 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    not on itunes on your ipod you have to put it in dfu mode
    google it and do it then on itunes it'll say that you need to restore then do it and it'll work
  5. puklo

puklo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    DFU Mode:

Connect your iPod to the computer
    Press and hold both Sleep/Power and Home button for 10 seconds
    Release the sleep/power button but keep holding down the home button
    in about 15 seconds your computer should beep recognizing your iPod
    iTunes will tell you your iPod is in DFU mode and you need to either upgrade or recover
    If you need to recover you'll need the previous firmware.
    There are many posts here regarding DFU mode and recovery.

Good luck.
  6. tranthom618

tranthom618 New Member

Did what Puklo said, everything went right until "iTunes will tell you your iPod is in DFU mode and you need to either upgrade or recover
    If you need to recover you'll need the previous firmware."
    iTunes did not respond in any way that my iPod is in recovery mode or DFU mode.
    Just to be specific about how my iPod doesn't exist to iTunes....

Please Register or Log in to view images

A screenshot of the itunes side-menu with the ipod plugged in. Notice that "Devices" isn't showing.
  7. paproductionz

paproductionz New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    man ive had the same problem 5 different times. i had to send my ipod out every single time and you know what? i just recieived my 6th ipod today in the mail but get this..its not a different ipod, its the same exact one everytime. everytime i try updating to version 2.2 it gives me the 1602 error and im sick of it because right now im having the same problem. after just getting it back in the mail about 6 hours ago, i plugged it in and it was working fine and i was happy. as soon as i tried updating to 2.2 there it went. here goes another 30$ for shipping to apple. im sick of this.
  8. ebragging

ebragging New Member

if u get into DFU u can access the restore button
  9. paproductionz

paproductionz New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    at this point theres no way to get the ipod into dfu. beleive me the only fix that might work is try restoring on another computer.
  10. tranthom618

tranthom618 New Member

Paproductionz... Spending 30 bucks to fix a problem caused by Apple doesn't seem right lol... And if you know the update is the problem then why not just stay at the current version instead?

And unfortunately I don't have another computer to try and restore this... Guess I'll just have to take it back to the store and get a 3rd iPod...