iPhone 3GS untethered jailbreak for some 3GS's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmwerkus, Dec 19, 2009.

1. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    i just wanted to point this out, some of the refurbished iphone 3GS's are refurbs of old enough iphones to not have a tethered jailbreak. This is what happened to me, and i am extremely happy about it. (i do not know what the chances of getting one of these is, but if you are planning on getting a 3GS and want an untethered jailbreak, this has a better chance than a new one)
  2. JackEdw

JackEdw New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yeah but if it's refurbished it isnt new...

I hate used things.
  3. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Yeah, but they replace the battery, and covers. THe only old things in there the internal components.

Also i hope a untethered jailbreak comes out... because im getting a new 3GS...
  4. JackEdw

JackEdw New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Got my 3Gs already.. It's no problem being tethered
  5. keypox

keypox New Member

Is there a way to tell which one needs tethered and which doesnt? Model number or something?
  6. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    When they came out... I think that's it
  7. jaswork

jaswork New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Mines a week 41 uk 3gs, it has the new iboot and is a tethered jailbreak

Please Register or Log in to view images

My phone switches itself off too often so I restored it instead. Hope an untethered jb comes out soon
  8. Lisa H

Lisa H New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey everyone ~

Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. I have to son's who both have ipod touches. My youngest got his in August, and I jailbroke it for him and its untethered. My oldest son just got his ipod touch for Christmas (same model). I jailbroke it yesterday but its tethered. Why would one jailbreak tethered and one untethered. The tethered one is driving my son CRAZY. Can't say I blame him. Any way to untether it?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
  9. ColKurtz

ColKurtz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Lisa if you bought the first one in August it is a 2nd gen, if you bought the other one in Dec it is 3rd gen. So they are not the same model, even if the capacity appears the same.

There is no untethered jailbreak for the 3rd gen iTouch, due to some hardware differences vs. the 2nd gen. From all I have read, no one is really working on a fix for this, so it will presumably be a tethered solution for the forseeable future. It seems geohot/devteam, assuming they have a fix, are keeping it in their back pocket until the next iPhone... if they publish it now then Apple may implement a fix before releasing the "4g". It's possible this 4G fix may work on 3G, but only time will tell, and that's a ways off.

If it's that annoying, go for a re-furb at the apple store. That's what I did. If you got the 8GB model then the 3rd generation offers practically nothing over the 2nd-gen 8GB model... only the 32 and 64G models have the upgraded processor.
  10. Lisa H

Lisa H New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ColKurtz ~

Thanks for your response. I figured that was the reason I could jailbreak the one in August untethered. I wasn't really sure when they went from 2nd gen to 3rd gen. Thanks for the clarification.

So a refurbed 2nd gen .... does that mean it was broken and Apple refurbished it?