Untethered jailbreak, any ideas post it

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by monkeyball2, Feb 4, 2009.

1. monkeyball2

monkeyball2 New Member

Now since we all have jailbroken 2g ipod touch´s, atleast most of us have, how about we start to post on how we might be able to boot untethered,
    if someone has some ideas i wont mind trying em, i wouldnt care if my itouch explodes or what ever , post ideas and thoughts on how we might be able to make this happen ,´

Millions of minds are better than 6 ----> Dev team
  2. Moose_

Moose_ New Member

Millions of minds without the bootrom dump are not better than 6 that have it, I assure you.
  3. Iamzim9

Iamzim9 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    A memory pen is possible, just very impractical. It has to do:

Upload DFU file.
    Reset connection.
    Upload the next file (I forget what it's called)
    Do the command line.
    Upload (Another file I forget what it's called)
    type go and /exit
    Open another command prompt that uploads the IMG3 then types go and /exit.

Last time I checked, pens don't run Windows.
  4. austen

austen New Member

You can run Windows on a pen drive.
    *Nods*

But you would need someway of getting power to the pendrive, starting windows and running the program.
  5. DJ Silence

DJ Silence New Member

ok if u can run windows on a pen drive, then the only thing is making a connector for the ipod, and making it able to run a program such as 1clickboot or something like that. but then this really isn't untethered. u still have to reapply the patch whenever u reboot, but now u wouldn't need a computer... but this is definetly a good idea.
  6. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    *facepalm* we would never need to run Windows on a pen drive.. a small linux distro would do fine. It would be interesting to do all of this, but it isn't anywhere near impossible.

production/creation is the hard part. MuscleNerd has already spoken on this topic.
  7. DJ Silence

DJ Silence New Member

yeah musclenerd said that people would be losing the device to reboot... my simple solution, don't turn off ur ipod, save as much battery as possible, and dont' download anything that would have to make u reboot... oh and do all of ur app adding when ur by a computer...

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    guys, thats still a tethered jailbreak.. having to have something plugged in, computer or dongle, its still tethered.
  9. monkeyball2

monkeyball2 New Member

bah, its been 3 days and i havent rebooted the itouch, we need someone to explain a little , what is DFU mode exactly , how it works, and i dont want the n00b explination,
    and btw having a small dongle plugged in is way better than plugged into a pc,

there is a iclick boot prog here on forums that reboots your device without the need to unplug and replug the usb in 10 seconds, so that script on a dongle that can detect the DFU mode and run automatically or by a click on a tiny button somewhere on the dongle,would be nice, and the dongle could have lets say a red and green light, red means its not in DFU mode and green means its in DFU mode, obviously you´ll have to get the DFU mode manually which isnt hard

i prefer a dongle that way, what i fear is, people coming up with chip´s you have to solder and that mean you need to open up your device, me dont like that at all. but f i understand it correctly its more a hardware problem than its a software one, which means there might be a chip like the ones you solder on game consoles
  10. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Come on people. A dongle to use to upload the file wouldn't even need linux. If you know how to program, and know about electronics, it really shouldnt be that hard for a professional.