untether a tethered ipod touch 2g??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nirvahnah, May 11, 2009.

1. nirvahnah

nirvahnah Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    is this even possible? i just jailbroke my ipod touch 2g yesterday manually through terminal, and the guy said it would be untethered. i had pwnage, then replaced the rslite exec in it with the rslite in the rslite folder he had me download. i did everything and it came out tethered.

i just realised its tethered after it died. and i already have quite abit of info and apps i would rather not have to re-download as well as 1200 songs...

soo my question is on a mac running 10.4.11 is it possible to untether a tethered ipod touch 2g? i dont need a GUI but it'd be nice. step by step instructions to do it manually would be fine.

also i did a search, here and on google and on another forum for jailbreaking. i've heard of red tool but as far as my knowledge goes, thats windows only.

EDIT: it has come to my knowledge that tethered means if it powers down by any means you must restore it. see when my ipod died it just gave me the connect to itunes picture. i thought that was tethered.. is this normal? and if not how may i remove this annoying procedure..
  2. Touchtacular

Touchtacular New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Search the forums for greengr4ss. I'm not sure if it works for Macs, but I think it does.
  3. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Use redsn0w 0.3
  4. muffinza192

muffinza192 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yea just plug it in and use redsn0w 0.3 no restore needed and its untethered and didnt u read the untehered readme... it says "If u dont know what tethered means DONT USE THIS JAILBREAK!" and u don t know what tethered means but anyway it means that every time u power down u need asistence from a computer to turn on.
  5. nirvahnah

nirvahnah Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    and u didnt read my post. he said it was an untethered jailbreak. and i knew what teathered meant just not to the fullest of extents.

BTW, after reconecting to my computer and getting charged, just to test it i shut it off. it turned on without connecting to ituntes or a computer for that matter. i just killed the batt too and it turned on after a charge from the wall adapter without assistance from itunes aswell.

so was that a one time deal freak thing? wtf is up with this. i can turn it off and power back on now perfectly fine and i didnt change anything...
  6. cjschriver3

cjschriver3 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    no, its not a one time thing, you're just retarded.
    thethered means you need to be hooked to the jailbreak every time you boot. just run the dang redsn0w 0.3 like everyone else...

i didn't pay attention. will it work on his G, FW?
  7. Alok

Alok New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No, tethered means you have to apply certain patches FROM YOUR COMPUTER OR CALC to make it turn on....Untethered doesn't need that
  8. nirvahnah

nirvahnah Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well it turns on fine no matter how i power it down. and im not retarted either. im probably more technologically aware than any of you aholes dising me. i came here for an answer not a diss...

it no longer needs to be connected to any computer or any device to boot. it just did it that one time. and since you all have a different definition off teathered id shut up if i was you...

i can shut it off and it powers up to custom firmware fine. it only gave me that "connect to iTunes" picture once which was the first time it died. i connected it to itunes been fine since.
  9. DylonAF1

DylonAF1 New Member

dude just restore your ipod to normal (not jailbroken) and then download quickfreedom i did it a couple hours ago so i know it works and i got 2g 2.2.1
  10. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    what he said... restore to a regular 2.2.1 FW in itunes, and use redsn0w.. much easier, and it WILL be untethered.. and btw..

tethered doesn't mean that u have to restore every time u power down.. you have to plug in the ipod and run a boot code. you don't have to full on restore the ipod. that'd be too much of a hastle.. untethered means u can boot normally.. so yeah.. there u go.

and DONT USE QUICKFREEDOM! nothing wrong with it, its a great piece of software. but the fact of the matter is.. quickfreedom has become obsoleite (idk if i spelled that right...). with redsn0w out there on the internet, quickfreedom's requirements have become too much of a hastle compared to redsn0w. quickfreedom will take about an hour to totally finish, and then you'll have to reload all ur music and apps back on.. with redsn0w... you'll be done with everything in about half an hour.. jailbreaking and resyncing. so.. redsn0w.. the way to go.