Unsure abt certain steps in jailbreakme.com method

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by ralliart12, Nov 28, 2007.

1. ralliart12

ralliart12 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi fellows. I'm soon abt to embark on using the following method to jailbreak an iPod Touch:

"GUIDE: 1.1.1 Jailbreak and Application Installation", followed by "GUIDE: 1.1.1 to Jailbroken 1.1.2" (Both stickied on the front page of this sub-forum)

Which are posted by Lemures(thanx very much) & similar to TouchDev's, CrunchGear's, & MacForum's(1 of it anyway)'s methods. So most of my following qns're based on this piece of info as a background.

Qn1.:
    Am I correct to say that, this other method, "Easiest jailbreak ever - no computer required! (For 1.1.1)" stops at a jailbroken 1.1.1, & one may or may not have problems following up with some "part-2" methods, i.e. from jailbroken 1.1.1 to 1.1.2?

Qn2.:
    Do we still need to add "Community Sources" if we use the jailbreakme.com URL? As under the "What's New" portion of jailbreakme.com's site, the site owner mentions:

"* Updated to the latest version of Installer.app. Now, I install Community Sources by default so you'll see all packages right away."

So I presume if we use his/her URL, no need for us to administer this step manually anymore?

Qn3.:
    While jailbreaking a just-upgraded-v1.1.2, 1 of the steps involve the closing of iTunes, & as Lemures puts it himself, "kill any other related processes". That, coupled with what I've read abt ppl having their PCs unable to detect their Touch after killing ALL the related processes, so should I:

option a: DUN close iTunes at all?
    option b: close iTunes but just kill iTunesHelper.exe & more imptly, leave AppleMobileDevice.exe on?
    option c: still close iTunes, & ALL related Apple processes?

I'm kinda siding with option b, as I've read some other threads that that process is whereby ur PC can still "talk" to ur iPod, otherwise, ur PC can't access ur iPod completely. But pls, any confirmation which method is the safest?

Qn4.:
    Another guide by Lemures, titled " GUIDE: Increasing 3rd party Application Limit". Is this step(I presume after all jailbreaking is done?) necessary? Or we just do it IF we encounter the 300-MB free space memory error as reported by other users?

Qn5.:
    For the step when u have to execute an executable script to really jailbreak after upgrading to v1.1.2, the batch file to execute for PC is always jailbreak.bat or windows.bat right (Depending on the source where u get the zip file from...)?

I hope to hear from you fellows soon! I did do some, in fact, much reading around until I got so many different views/perspectives, etc...

& thanx for reading, at the very least.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. MacAttack53

MacAttack53 New Member

That's a lot of material lol...

Anyway...I will try and go question by question....

1. Yes...The first method does in fact stop at 1.1.1. Not having used it, I would say that you should be able to use a program in it called Oktoprep that is included in Installer.app and it allows the iPod to be upgraded to 1.1.2 using Jailbreak.

2. Jailbreakme.com DOES INCLUDE community sources already in it. No more manual steps

3. To be honest, I would just stay on 1.1.1. There is no major reason to upgrade it from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 if it's jailbroken except the reason to add calender events (This has since been added using Installer.app)

4. I have about 10 apps installed on my iPod Touch and I've never really run into any sort of limit so I'm not too sure about that.

5. Yes....The file will always be .bat on a windows machine....Either jailbreak.bat or windows.bat....
    If you see jailbreak.jar, then it's a OS X one.

Hope I have helped a little bit. If there is any other questions, feel free to ask

3. szeltman6311

szeltman6311 New Member

About Q3; Some people have experienced problems from a,b, and c. I don't know what is the best guess, but I left iTunes open and it worked fine. On another occasion, I did choice b and it worked fine.
    Q4; The 300mb limit was a side effect of the early jailbreaks. All of the automatic jailbreaks fix this problem. There is an application space limit, but my touch has 3 pages of apps and I have had no troubles. If your'e just JBing 1.1.1 to upgrade to 1.1.2 JBed, don't bother with this step because you won't be installing applications on 1.1.1.
    If you have any questions please feel free to ask me. iv'e been a member of this site for a long time (despite my Junior rating, which is only based on post counts). My e-mail address for this stuff is in my signature.