iOS 3.1 Unofficial Blackra1n FAQ

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by studangerous, Oct 12, 2009.

1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Unofficial blackra1n FAQ

This FAQ is an effort to better inform iPtF members on the new blackra!n jailbreak and prevent the same questions being asked and answered multiple times across the forums.

It's a Work In Progress so feel free to comment and add suggestions in the thread.

_____________________________________​

Who is GeoHot?

He has a Wikipedia page here

What is blackra1n?

blackra1n is GeoHot's jailbreak tool for 3.1, 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 firmwares.

Is blackra1n for Windows, MacOS, Linux?

Currently blackra1n is for Windows OS only. If you have a Mac you can use the Dev Team's PwnageTool to build a custom 3.1 firmware.

Does blackra1n work on Windows XP / Vista / Win7?

GeoHot built blackra1n to work on Windows XP and Windows7. There is no direct compatibility with Vista as it's seen as a dead OS, however if you have problems then try running blackra!n on Vista in compatibility mode

Where can I get blackra1n?

www.blackra1n.com,

Where can I find mroe technical details about blackra1n?

On the iPhone Wiki blackra1n page here

I'm not on a contract. Does blackra1n unlock my iPhone's baseband?

NO!!!! If you need an unlock to use a third party sim card it's very important you DO NOT update your firmware above 3.0.1. The baseband on OS 3.0 and 3.0.1 is 04.26.08 and this can be unlocked using the Dev Team's ultrasn0w tool. The 3.1 and 3.1.2 iPhone firmwares are on baseband 05.11.07 which HAS NOT yet been hacked (and there's a chance it may never be...).

Which iDevices does blackra1n work with?

blackra1n will jailbreak iPhone 2g, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 1G and iPod touch 2G. It will also allow a tethered jailbreak of the iPod touch 3G 32GB and 64GB models. So far there have been no confirmed jailbreak's of the 'updated/new' iPod touch 8GB model - this model can be recognised as it comes as 3.1.1. OTB, is locked to a minimum 3.1.1. firmware and cannot be downgraded lower and if you go to Settings -> General -> About the Model number will start MC. If it starts MB then it's an iPod touch 2G and blackra1n will jailbreak it.

What does 'tethered jailbreak' mean?

Tethered means that the jailbreak needs to be reapplied every time you power down your iPod touch 3G. If you let the battery run to zero or restart your iPod touch then you will need to reapply the jailbreak by connecting to your computer (tethering) and running blackra1n again.

Nooooo... I didn't know iPod touch 3G 8GB wasn't supported. I'm stuck on a black screen... what should I do?

Don't worry, GeoHot didn't even know that the new 8GB wasn't supported. It looks as though he had built blackra1n based on hacking a 32GB or 64GB iPod touch 3G for the jailbreak. All you can do now is put in restore or DFU mode, restore to a current 3.1.2 firmware and wait for a jailbreak for your device.

Do I need to restore to a clean stock Apple firmware before I jailbreak?

No. As long as you are on a stock Apple 3.1, 3.1.1 or 3.1.2 firmware you can jailbreak w/o restoring.

Will I lose all of my App Store apps and settings when I jailbreak?

No. The jailbreak is on-the-fly. It will simply unjail the root system and add a blackra1n icon to your springboard. Your App Store apps, settings, save games will all remain the same.

So what does this Blackra1n icon on my springboard do?

It allows you to download and install one of three package managers:

It is suggested you choose one only. If you must choose more then choose either Cydia or Rock, not both as there are reports of compatibility issues and problems when both are installed. If you must install two then add Icy. Don't install all three!

How do I use blackra1n to jailbreak?

There's a small tutorial here

Once I have installed Cydia/Icy/Rock can I delete blackra!n?

Yes, after you have downloaded and installed either of Cydia, Icy or Rock you may uninstall blackra!n using the in-app uninstall option. This will not remove your jailbreak or delete your chosen jailbreak package installer.

What does 'save ECID SHSH blobs with Cydia' mean and why should everyone with an iPod touch 3G or iPhone 3GS do it?

The game of cat and mouse between Apple and the jailbreak community took another step forward when the iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 3G line was released. These new devices are hardware locked to the latest firmware. This means that when you try to reinstall or restore your deice iTunes will contact Apple to sign and activate the firmware. Apple are signing the l┼čatest firmware only to try and stop you downgrading to a lower firmware, such as one where an jailbreak and unlock are available.

If you install Cydia your device's ECID SHSH blob will be automatically saved and a message to confirm this will be shown on Cydia when you open it. If you haven't jailbroken and want to store your ECID on Cydia anyway (recommended) you can do so by adding 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com to your hosts file (which is under /etc/hosts on mac and C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts on Windows) and then restore your device through iTunes to save it.

Why can I not see the root jailbroken file system when using a USB browser such as iFunBox/DiskAid/iPhoneBrowser?

blackra1n doesn't install the afc2 service needed to view the root jailbroken file system using SSH progs like WinSCP or USB transfer agents like iPhoneBrowser and iFunBox. You can add this in manually though:

For more details see here.

edit/ you can also get the afc2 service by installing afc2add from Cydia.
  2. pwnah

pwnah New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Excellent FAQ, althought i dont see what the big issue is over Vista, it works fine for me on every game, programme and well basically just anything i run.
  3. zoiter123

zoiter123 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Same.. I like it
  4. dre@ms

dre@ms Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Awesome compilation of all queries raised and well answered.
  5. Plat

Plat New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Great FAQ Stu
    Only thing i think it's missing is the solution to some Devices not working with SSH

Source: http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/issues/detail?id=153
  6. MrDodi

MrDodi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Cool faq.
    Might help some new guys around here
  7. RedrumsSam

RedrumsSam Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Has anyone figured out why some of us iPhone 3g owners can't get this to work? Mt iPhone stops on a black sceen every time. Blackra1n says the jailbreak is done, waiting for reboot, but it never reboots! I tried for hours last night!
  8. ninobehar

ninobehar New Member

Hey guys!

I saw this video on youtube about the tethered ipods:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWY-UFxUxZU

Can anyone with an ipt3g do a similar video showing how to reboot a tethered ipod with blackra1n please? The video that I show works the same?

Thanks!
  9. lightningdude

lightningdude New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    studangerous, you oughta add in the afc2 fix that I made a thread about in the 3.1 firmware forum. I think it'd be a great add-on to this faq, because it is a blackra1n "problem" that people may have, getting iFunbox and such to work.
  10. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

All you do is re-run it.