Uno! Here's some screens & thoughts...

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by bjornkeizers, Nov 18, 2008.

1. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I decided to give Uno a go. I decided to put some thoughts down on 'paper', as well as some of my own screenshots.

First up, I'd like to discuss the price. Just to put it in some perspective. Yes, it's 'expensive' by App Store standards (7,99 USD / 5,99 EUR), but it's still less then what you pay for a real deck of Uno cards. (9 Euros at my local toy store, 9 USD on Amazon.com)

I've played Uno quite a bit. My previous experience includes the Xbox Live Arcade version of this game. I enjoyed many a fine hour, playing with others online as well as custom-rules matches against the computer players. In short, I know how to play Uno -- and what to look for in an electronic version.

Here's my thoughts.

Gameloft's Uno is a very colorful, faithful Uno game that borrows heavily from the XBLA version. The overall production value is excellent, as I've come to expect from Gameloft games. The menu layout and depth is excellent. Plenty of sound options as well as tutorials and assorted greeblies.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The inclusion of tutorials is very nice. The game offers up good game tips as well as basic strategy. First time Uno players should be able to pick-up-and-play just fine.

We'll start with gameplay in the 'Quick Play' mode. A basic-rules game of Uno, against three AI players. The actual gameplay is very much like the XBLA version, and I felt right at home. Your hand is at the bottom of the screen, with cards selected by either double-tapping them or 'swiping' them to the discard pile. You can sort through your hand by swiping left or right. Grabbing a new card is as simple as tapping on the deck. Other functions like 'challenges' are handled by large, friendly on-screen buttons. Sound wise, there are some voice-prompts as well as the usual 'swishy' sound effects that you'd expect from a card game.

The landscape graphics are bold, colorful and match the 'feel' of a family oriented card game. There are options for different backgrounds, but I didn't see anything like specialty decks (I.e. the 25th anniversary deck of the XBLA version)

Moving on in the menus, you'll find 'custom rules' modes, that allow you to play in whatever variety you want. Me, I like some progressive penalties, as well as draw-and-play. I'm mighty good with the Draw-2's so better watch out ;-)

Next up is the 'Tournament' mode. Tournament pits you against other AI players in a knockout battle (or so I gather, from quick glances...) In keeping with the XBLA version, there are some good unlockables and achievements to be found!! You can unlock new player icons, backgrounds, and some puzzle pieces. Everything is tracked by stats as well. Very good depth for a basic card game. The unlockables should add some decent replayability.

Moving on from the Quick Play and Single Player modes, you'll find Multiplayer. There, you are presented with three options:

• WiFi multiplayer allows you to play other iPhone / Touch users that are connected to the same network as you. Unfortunately, only one colleague owns an iPhone... so I haven't been able to try it.
    • One device multiplayer is just what you'd expect. Each player plays their hand, then they pass on the device to the next person. This mode supports up to 4 players -- real or computer-controlled. So if you want to play two human against two computer players, you can.
    • Online multiplayer. A pretty rare feature on App Store games! We'll take a closer look...

After connecting my WiFi and selecting online play, I was asked to register a user name. I chose my first name, and hit OK. After that, I was presented with the following 'welcome' screen:

Two main options:

* Create a room. This allows you to toggle a set of rules on or off. Including Jump In, 7-0 and cumulative penalties.

* Join a room. View all active rooms, and join one where there's room.

I tried it yesterday evening, and was able to connect and play several matches against others. I did a one-one-match, as well as full on four player games.

The matches played quite well. Obviously, the game moves more slowly because of connection speeds and player habits. Over the few games I played, the slowdowns were never game-stopping. Nor did I encounter dropped players or other connection issues.

Unfortunately, there are some 'social' features missing. There's no chat as far as I can tell. Nor are there friend lists or in-depth match making. If you're expecting XBLA levels of multiplayer integration... this isn't it. There's a points ranking, but nothing else.

In terms of actual gameplay, it plays just fine. All in all, a solid effort by Gameloft. If they add some features to the multiplayer section, this might be the cardgame to beat on iPhone!

My first thoughts so far: Gameloft's Uno is an excellent showing. Well produced, with all the modes and options you'd expect. For less the the price of an actual Uno deck, you get a polished electronic version with added online gameplay. If you like the XBLA version, you'll love having it on your iPhone or Touch. Money well spent.

It's available now on the App Store.
  2. iPhoneFTW

iPhoneFTW New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Awesome review!
  3. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    cool, I've bought this as well, AWESOME!!!

very user-friednly, I'd recommend it to the fun, young and type..

very cool

although I could have written a review or a lecture just like this

, just coodent be bovad

4. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

My god when did this come out.

*gets uno*
  5. nclaxmiddy11

nclaxmiddy11 Active Member

Saw it on TouchArcade...Didn't download.

Read your review...Downloaded.

6. Flipzter

Flipzter Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Very nice review. In-depth and complete. Nice job.
  7. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Thanks guys. I'm not quite done yet

Still have the unlockables to explore, as well as the tournament and online options. I'm sure they'll be fine, judging from the rest of the package.

I'll post some more screens and thoughts later. I know how difficult it is to find user reviews for new stuff... so if I can help, I'm happy to oblige

8. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  9. jeremytodd1

jeremytodd1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah definitely try to get to the online multiplayer as soon as you can please. Thats what is going to be the main thing on deciding if I buy it or not.

Please pay attention to most of the details online too, like if theres chat. Chat makes games more fun, in my opinion. =p
  10. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    omg im going to get this because of your detailed review thanks man you filled in all my questions