unlocking versus jailbroke

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by has555, Jul 2, 2009.

1. has555

has555 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    What is the difference between unlocking and jailbroke on the iphone? Have you found it worth it or does it create a set of headaches? Where do you buy iphone that don't have service contracts?

Austin
  2. PurpleRa1n

PurpleRa1n Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    unlocked= not locked into AT&T service, can use Tmobile and other carriers
    jailbroken= adds access to software and 3rd party apps

and yeah it's so worth it... why do you think there are so many forums on how to jailbreak??

check ebay for iphones that don't have contracts.
  3. has555

has555 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    unlocking iphone

if the phone is unlock can you use itunes to download the apps?

if not is that when you use jailbroke ?

the prices on ebay where approx 400.00-450.00 for 2 phones, but many where 600.00- 800.00. What is the avg cost suggested price to buy the unlock or jailbroke iphone?

Austin
  4. Xii

Xii New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Unlocking has nothing to do with downloading applications. It just allows you to use a different cell carrier, such as T-Mobile.
  5. has555

has555 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    So I assume by your answer that I can use itune to down load from the app store. Is this correct?

Does anyone have answer to the other question?

the prices on ebay where approx 400.00-450.00 for 1 phones, but many where 600.00- 800.00. What is the avg cost suggested price to buy the unlock or jailbroke iphone?

Where do you get app for iphone 3g? Is there on for quick voice?

Austin
  6. Dust

Dust New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i dont have any idea of what you just said there,
    but the difference between unlocking and jailbreaking is that unlocking is for iphones and allows you to use a different carrier. and based on your device thing in the corner, you dont have an iphone so you dont need to unlock, just jailbreak
  7. Xii

Xii New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. Yes, why wouldn't you?
    2.. Those prices are average 500-700. It can go anywhere from there.
  8. gabriel21st

gabriel21st New Member

of course you can use itunes to download apps. you can still download apps from the app store off your iphone. jailbreaking your iphone allows unofficial apps to be run on it. what i mean by that is that you can have ANY app run on your iphone. if you still dont understand, or dont care, then let me define unlocking for you. unlocking your iphone allows you to use any SIM card from any carrier. if you dont unlock your iphone, you can only use at&t but if you unlock your iphone you can use t-mobile, verizon, etc. in order to unlock your phone, you must jailbreak it first.
  9. has555

has555 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    thank you. That was very helpful. I didn't know it was a two step process. I thougth it was either jailboken or unlocked. Clarifying this info was well appreciated.

I got the ipod touch as a gift on father's Day. I was going to return it and buy iphone 3g without contract. But I wanted to find out what was required to do it, because I didn't know anything about jailbroke or unlock iphone. I found this site in google search.

At first I was going to use mity mic for my mic, but my wife's iphone 3G with ATT ( I'm with t-mobile) does excellent recording with the app called "quickvoice". The playback is also decent . So it made sense to me to get everything in one devices, instead of carrying around external devices to do the recording/playback. I hope this make sense.

Do you have any tips/pointers when purchasing an unlocked iphone ?

Thanks, Austin