Unlocking friend's iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JP13829, Jan 4, 2008.

1. JP13829

JP13829 New Member

My friend gave me his iphone (old 4GB model) and asked me to unlock it so he could put it on T-Mobile, but the problem is that the phone is not activated and only allows emergency calls, so i cant even get to the springboard (i was able to get to the phone app using *#307#) He got the phone from someone else, and the phone has a T-Mobile sim in it that doesn't work because the plan it was on was cancelled. when i got it, it was running 1.1.2 (not activated either), and i was able to downgrade to 1.0.2, and i tried to use iNdependence 1.3.1, but it just says "Failure, Error entering recovery mode". this phone is now running 1.0.2, but the baseband version is 04.02.13_G, could that be causing all my problems? i dont know the person he got it from so i don't think there is a way for me to get the original AT&T sim, and i don't know anyone else with an iphone, i don't even have one, he just asked me because i was able to jailbreak my ipod touch with no problems. if anyone can help me i'd really appreciate it...thanks.
  2. 1god1king

1god1king New Member

Thats what it is suppose to do so failure is normal go here

http://iphone.unlock.no/

scroll down to How do i downgrade a 1.1.2 phone.
    this steps will so you how to get the activation screen back after downgrade/restore .
    this will also display failure but will give you activation screen back once done go to

Bypass activation and prepare phone for software installation
    follow steps then go to

Downgrade the baseband firmware
    which is a sub chapter of How do i downgrade a 1.1.2 phone

any problems just ask just finished doing this to my iphone a couple of days ago
  3. jd-08

jd-08 New Member

04.02.13_G is version 1.1.2. If he "upgraded" from an earlier version - you'll be fine on an "unlock".

If he bought it as an Apple "refurb" with 1.1.2 & 04.02.13_G firmware pre-installed - there is no software unlock at this time.

I'd suggest getting a SIM that works to unlock, as with an inactive SIM - you have no way of figuring out "what's doing what to what". Tell him to buy a T-mobile "pay as you go" phone for about $25 - getting it activated at the store, rip the SIM out - and then do the unlock (if it's "upgraded" ONLY) on his iPhone.

If it's a refurb from Apple with 1.1.2 and the new bootloader - jailbreak it and tell him to use it as an iPod Touch 'till there is a software unlock. Sorry to be the messenger of bad news - but don't shoot the messenger....
  4. JP13829

JP13829 New Member

ok, thanks. i was actually able to get it activated, now i just need to downgrade the baseband and unlock.
  5. JP13829

JP13829 New Member

he already has a working T-Mobile sim, its just the one he gave me thats inactive-thats ok because i can use my dad's T-Mobile sim since i have Verizon. it was definitely not purchased with 1.1.2 because it's a 4GB phone, they stopped selling them before 1.1.2.