iPhone 3GS Unlocking and Jailbreaking iPhone 3GS question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raelix, Dec 31, 2009.

1. raelix

raelix New Member

Okay, so I'm planning on buying a new iPhone 3GS and then cancelling data plan. Does this still work? Because I've noticed that ever since the 3GS came out, AT&T listed on their website that "You can never remove a data plan in the future." I want to use the iPhone as a phone and iPod touch, but I do not wish to pay for the $30 monthly data plan. I currently have a Blackberry, but I didn't get the data for it and now AT&T requires all smartphones to have a data plan. So if I'm gonna pay money to get a phone, I'm thinking I might as well get an iPhone.

Just plain and simple: I want to use the iPhone without the data plan. (If I have to pay for several months worth of data, maybe even up to a year, then cancel, I'm fine with that.) Although if this method ends up being really expensive and the total is near the $500 price of a iPhone without contract, then I'll probably either stick with the contract or just get a Touch.
  2. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    If you buy an iPhone from AT&T along with a plan, you MUST also pay for the data plan, no exceptions. You may cancel your entire plan, but not just the data portion.

You could buy an iPhone without a plan (for a much steeper price - or cancel your plan, which adds a hefty fee, effectively raising the price anyway) and unlock it for use with any activated GSM SIM card to achieve your wants, if you like.
  3. raelix

raelix New Member

Hmm... I wonder if anyone on here has done this recently though because my Dad did this and cancelled his contract after a year and didn't have to pay a penalty of $120, and my brother did the same to his but he had to pay the $120 fee to cancel the contract.

Although if I plan on getting a refurbished 3G or 3GS then cancel for $120 the price wouldn't be as steep. It'd just be buying it at the regular price with contract almost. I'll probably do this then. Or if I'm satisfied with AT&T's 3G network, then I'll keep the data on there, but as of right now I know it's terrible.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Oh, also another question is: When my contract ends with that iPhone, can I just jailbreak and unlock it and use it on AT&T's network without a data plan in the future contracts or will I have to keep paying the data plan?
  4. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Depending on where you live, AT&T's 3G can either be great or mediocre. It's absolutely fantastic for me (Oklahoma, Missouri, and Texas areas).

After your contract ended, you could just get an AT&T SIM card activated for a different plan rather than renewing the iPhone plan and use it after unlocking.
  5. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    You have to renew contracts in the U.S? Here in Canada with Rogers and even Bell (Also known as Aliant), when your contract is up you just continue your use with your monthly bill, however, they'll offer you amazing deals on the latest phones to try and tie you in another term.