Unlocked iphone3G EBAY?????

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by r1dePrkCty, Oct 25, 2008.

1. r1dePrkCty

r1dePrkCty New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    How are all these iphone3G's unlocked on EBay??? Are they just using those fake simcards that you can buy for like $50 (i dont know if they work or not, i always thought it was just false advertising)? If they are, then why cant the dev team just replicate what those simcards do???
  2. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

The probably cancelled the contract, payed the fee, and sell them for a higher price to gain something out of it.
  3. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    most likely, maybe they are using the sim card hack thing though
  4. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

The phones are still going to be locked to AT&T's network, IIRC, unless they're usong one of those SIM card overlays.
  5. bomplext

bomplext New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    There are certain places that sell them unlocked Hong Kong for one you can order an unlocked iphone 3g directly from apples website.
  6. Dloader Girl

Dloader Girl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Here in Australia, you can get the carriers to unlock your iPhone 3G for $75. I have no idea how they do it, but they can.

What you saw on Ebay may have been one of the ones that got unlocked by the carrier themselves.
  7. r1dePrkCty

r1dePrkCty New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    But if these guys in other countries are unlocking them so easily or you can simply use one of those unlocking simcards then why is the unlock giving the dev team so much trouble? (although this really doesn't apply anymore ofter seeing the front page article.)
  8. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    well its not official unlock and not a true unlock then its just a mod
  9. Dloader Girl

Dloader Girl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thats actually a pretty good question - unfortunately one that I have no answer for.

I do'tn think its a mod though - it really IS unlocked, and they do it because alot of international students take it back to their home country to use their own sim cards - so its a true unlock. Only it costs a bomb

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. andybno1

andybno1 Banned

almost every phone (if not every phone) comes with an unlock code incase say at the end of your contract you choose to move carriers so that you can continue to use the phone. its just a simple code the carrier supplies which you enter into the phone. Never having an iPhone or knowing much in the unlockin side I would assume these are the same? or it could be they are truely locked legally to the network with no unlock code?