Unlocked iphone 3g's on ebay??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by random man5, Aug 8, 2008.

1. random man5

random man5 New Member

At the time of writing this there is no software process to unlock the iphone 3g to my knowledge. I know there are some hardware unlock methods but I believe that these are a bit iffy.

So my questions is how can people be selling unlocked iphone 3g's on ebay?

Either:
    1. They are fakes
    2. They are unlocked via hardware methods

I personally think that it is number 1 since some are still advertised as "Unopened"
  2. DJ Xander

DJ Xander New Member

If they are bought from areas where they need to be unlocked to use the service, such as Germany and Italy I believe, they are unlocked by the phone company *legally*. Some people are able to get their hands on these without any consequence and therefore sell them on eBay.

I do think most are just regular iPhone 3G's that are just being passed as unlocked.
  3. timstim

timstim New Member

i asked one of those sellers that was advertising a unlocked 3g iphone that would run on any phone service in the world......if i could run it on nextel ,and use the ptt feature.he said yes it would......... i dont see how that would even be possable,as there is no ptt button on a iphone.right?

here is the sim unlock kit for the 3g and any other gsm phone:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Turbo-sim-card-...74|39:1|66:2|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318
  4. DJ Xander

DJ Xander New Member

Wow... Either he is really stupid, or trying to trick you out of your money.

My bet is to wait until there is a true unlock, then unlock it yourself with your sim card.

I don't think PTT will work though, as that requires something totally different in the phone itself.