iPhone 3GS Unlock 3gs but still using AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 432521, Jul 23, 2010.

1. 432521

432521 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Okay so my friend wants me to unlock his 3gs. The thing is he is on AT&T so that really negates the purpose doesn't it? I think the reason why he wants me to do this is because he wants to make it so that he doesn't have to use AT&T's iphone data plan which I think is like $30. What he wants to do is to use one of their cheaper data plans, I think one that costs like $10. Is this possible?
  2. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The unlock is only necesary if you are using with other carriers like lets say T-Mobile. If he plans on staying with ATT there's no point for unlock
  3. 432521

432521 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    How would I do it so that he wouldn't have to pay for the data plan?
  4. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The only way you can do is by setting fake APN settings, but this will disable data completely. If he plans on using a cheaper data plan from ATT he might be able to use it for a month maybe two untill ATT realize he has an iPhone. After that theyt will add the data automatically.
  5. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Nope...not true. The unlock is also for at&t users who do not have an iPhone plan.
  6. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No it's not!! There was no unlock when 3.1.3 was released and I had T-Mobile. So I went and bought a prepaid Sim Card from AT&T and used it this way until the unlock came out and I was finaly able to go back to T-Mobile.
    Like I said in my previous post if you plan on staying with AT&T there is no point for an unlock because the iPhone recognizes every single sim card on the network regardless of the plan.
    I used my phone with the AT&T prepaid sim with no data from begining of March untill the unlock came out which was mid June.
  7. 432521

432521 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    So is there a way for me to use an iphone 3gs with lets say t-moble or AT&T without having to get the data plan?
  8. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yes for T-Mobile, but you should block Cellular Data before using the phone.

Yes for AT&T, too, but they may eventually realize you're using an iPhone and tack on the $30/month charge to your bill.