UNIX commands + Remote Access to iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by pyroice04, Feb 17, 2008.

1. pyroice04

pyroice04 New Member

I wish iPod Touch apps had man pages...

I have been digging for a while now on how to effectively use iPod Touch applications using just UNIX commands and/or tags. For example, after I connect to my iPod Touch with my laptop, through SSH, I can type /Applications/Calculator.app/Calculator to open up the Calculator application. Same goes for many of the apps in the /Application directory. But I am still limited to just being able to open them remotely, making it a little pointless.

I would like to be able to control the MobileMusicPlayer app. Are there any special tags that I should include in order to get this thing to play/pause a song, skip previous/next track, etc.?

Having my iPod Touch hooked up to some speakers across the room, and being able to control it with my laptop, is my short-term goal. Of course, smooth remote access opens up plenty of other options as well.

Thanks!
  2. pyroice04

pyroice04 New Member

Well, a simple "ps -A" showed me this (under the COMMAND column):

/Applications/MobileMusicPlayer.app/MobileMusicPlayer --launchedFromSB --role AudioPlayer

So, I proceeded to kill the process, and then type in the above command manually.
    In the terminal on my laptop, I see this:

# /Applications/MobileMusicPlayer.app/MobileMusicPlayer --launchedFromSB --role AudioPlayer
    2008-02-17 15:11:53.629 MobileMusicPlayer[238:d03] INFO:: ++ ITSyncFileLocker acquired held lock on main thread: instanceUID=0, lockfd=7
    2008-02-17 15:11:53.638 MobileMusicPlayer[238:d03] INFO:: -- ITSyncFileLocker releasing held lock (_closeFd): instanceUID=0, lockfd=7
    2008-02-17 15:11:54.032 MobileMusicPlayer[238:d03] INFO:: ++ ITSyncFileLocker acquired held lock on main thread: instanceUID=0, lockfd=7
    2008-02-17 15:11:54.044 MobileMusicPlayer[238:d03] initializeMainUI, Role = 0 (AudioPlayer)

and was given a blank "prompt" in which I could type anything to no effect.

On my iPod, the list of Artists pops up.

Any idea of where to go from here? Maybe there are specific typed commands for this "prompt" that can manipulate the MobileMusicPlayer, and I would have no idea how to test for that other than brute trial and error.

I hope to hear from someone soon. 'Til then, I'll keep on tinkering.