Understanding Cydia, Icy, Winterboard, etc

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by shinkster, May 23, 2009.

1. shinkster

shinkster New Member

I basically jailbroke my itouch out of boredom and only really use it for the background wallpaper and the ability to add folders to stash barely used programs. Here are my questions:

1. What is the difference between cydia and installer
    2. What is the difference between winterboard, springboard
    3. I ftp'd into my itouch, what folder should stuff go in?

I try to find decent themes from cydia but usually I end up with invisible icons and other ugly stuff. I basically just want to know where to find the great themes some of you have posted and how to edit the horizontal bar at the top, among other things. Oh, and I want to get NES roms as well

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks in advance!
  2. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    1. Installer is all but deprecated. Cydia should be your top choice. Icy works similar to Cydia but lacks many of its features and is kinda shady.

2. The SpringBoard is your main screen, the one with all the icons. Winterboard is a app that allows you to customize it.

3. Themes go in /Library/Themes. For best results though, try and find those themes on Cydia since installation is much easier and cleaner.
  3. shinkster

shinkster New Member

Thank you for the reply.

Regarding Cydia, can you suggest a good theme that is easily accessible? For some reason I am not having any luck finding the types of themes I am seeing on these forums. This is not including any extra modifictions (font, battery icon, etc.)
  4. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, my favorite on Cydia has to be tenuis. It looks good and there are lots of icons, almost for every popular app.
  5. cadetarded

cadetarded New Member

themes go in library? what do you mean? i click and drop?
  6. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you copy them via SSH, then that is the path to where the themes go. So if you open up WinSCP, you start in "/". You just click on "Library", then click on "Themes".
  7. cadetarded

cadetarded New Member

what do you mean by ssh? cause i cant connect to the WinSCP. well... i dont even know how to. i know im supposed to get the wifi info... but i dont have wifi.
  8. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Then use iPhonebrowser