UnderScore.app - Pretend your iPod/iPhone's bricked

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by TheUnderDog, Jun 4, 2008.

1. TheUnderDog

TheUnderDog New Member

UNDERSCORE.APP

Please Register or Log in to view images

Settling the Score
    (I thought it was a good slogin...)​

OK, I got sick and tired of all these people asking to see my iPod, and then ultimately just messing around with a bunch of *personal* things. So I decided to create this small but powerful app that makes it appear as if the device doesn't work anymore. A small warning is that if you plan on installing this app, please read this documentation FULLY, or else you might not be able to get yourself out of the 'Bricked' state!

So, what this app does is render the iPod/iPhone in an unuseable state, where the only ways to exit are to let the battery drain, send a reboot command via SSH, or tap the 'secret button' (shown below). This would be useful for those NOOBS who always wanna mess around and touch your beautiful device.

Now, the app launches in two modes, the first of which is when the app is launched straight from the home screen, like a normal app. The screen will appear like this:

Now there are four options in this mode:
    1- You can press the Home button, which will launch the second state, which is the inescapable and actually 'bricked' one.
    2- You can press and hold the Home button for at least 6 seconds, where the app will quit and not continue to the second state.
    3- You can turn the iPod/iPhone upside down. This will reveal the location of secret button to exit the app in the second mode. You can also practice by hitting the button in this mode.
    4- You can tap the secret button, regardless of whether you have revealed its location. Tapping it takes you back to the home screen, as holding the Home button would.

This is clearly the less dangerous state. It's when you take the first option, and press the Home button, that the actual illusion begins.

The second mode is that illusion. It's set to launch the application again, only without a signature, when you press home. What this means is that the Home button won't be able to exit the app, and that the sleep/wake button will simply turn the display off, but when the display comes back on, the screen will still be there.

There are only two ways to exit the app at this point:
    1- You can tap the secret button, as revealed when you turned your device upside down in the other mode, or in the picture shown below. Turning it upside in this mode won't reveal the button.
    2- You can hold both Power and Sleep for a while to manually reboot... (er, don't let your *hopefully* noob friends know this)

(in this image, the blue represents where the status bar would be, and the white retangle represents the dimensions of the box)​

And that's IT. If you're in school or something, someone wants to see your device, simply launch the app, and then press Home to put it in the second mode. Unless you've revealed the 10x40 pixel button to them, chances are they won't be able to exit it.

The only real requirements for this app are Jiggy Runtime and BSD Subsystem, but most people have those anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I would recommend that people who download this app know that they can always hold down both the sleep/wake button and the home button to reboot if they can't locate the secret button

Here are additional photos of the secret button relitave to the screen's status bar. The locations of the button are literally the area between 170 and 180 X and less than 40 Y, if you wanted to know. It's programmed in Jiggy, so it's fairly modifiable if you know what you're doing.

(psst, while you're here, which home screen is better? the one on the left is me, the one on the right is my friend's).​

EDIT The app isn't nearly as dangerous as it used to be, as spoonforknife discovered that you can simply force the manual reboot on it with the sleep and home button being held at once. Since this isn't common knowledge to most people who don't own iPods/iPhones, the app is still useful under certain circumstances, but certainly not as useful as it once was... =/ Imma work on a way to get around this...

SSH Instructions: Drag UnderScore.app into the Applications folder and set permissions to 0777. 0755 works too, but 777 is a much cooler number.

Attached Files:

2. lazyasada

lazyasada Banned

nice app im going to try it you have a repo for it
  3. yz85 rider

yz85 rider Banned

Yeah. This actually looks like it will work
  4. lazyasada

lazyasada Banned

ya good enough you should have a site and repo (i can make it for you in about 5 mins

)
  5. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

Why?

Pointless!
  6. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Better idea.
    Invisible icon plus restore screen.
  7. TheUnderDog

TheUnderDog New Member

Oh! That would be awesome! I tried to create a Repo and I think I hurt myself...
  8. lazyasada

lazyasada Banned

lol ok you do have a website right or like something you can use it for ?
  9. TheUnderDog

TheUnderDog New Member

I have an Angelfire and a freewebs which I usually upload my random files to, those should do... right?

Has anyone confirmed that this app even works yet? I wouldn't be surprised if I made some random stupid error. I also made it on v1.1.1, so I'm not sure exactly how it will run on v1.1.4
  10. lazyasada

lazyasada Banned

no you will need to have cp