unable to sync on xp

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shandy_hutton, Oct 16, 2007.

1. shandy_hutton

shandy_hutton New Member

16g touch fine with my laptop, on vista but... when trying to sync with my home pc (xp and alot more music!) it shows up in windows but not i tunes? run diog test in itunes comes up with, unable to connect due to "no IEEE1394", any ideas?
    many thanks shandy!
    ps. oh and yes i have usb 2.0 as this seems an issue, and also re installed itunes?
  2. xznkok

xznkok New Member

you did not turn on your 1394 net adapter
  3. shandy_hutton

shandy_hutton New Member

great, whats that? thanks
  4. shandy_hutton

shandy_hutton New Member

sorted... i think

It is a "Firewire" connection. It can be used as a "network adapter" to connect two computers directly (in the same way as a crossover ethernet cable) but the port is more commonly used to connect cameras or external hard drives.

Firewire supports a data transfer rate of 400Mbps (there is also Firewire 800 at 800Mbps) and is actually a faster technology in practice than USB 2.0 with a nominal speed of 480Mbps.

It is normally enabled and, in its Properties in the Network Connections folder, you can untick the box to Show icon in notification area when connected to hide it. The 1394 Connection is always shown as "Connected" in the Network Connections folder, even though it isn't actually in use.
  5. omarnaji2003

omarnaji2003 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    IEEE1394 is the firewire which is not needed for the touch. I think firewire was used in the old ipods
    And same here it worked on vista but not on XP, here is how I solved my problem. First I Reinstalled iTunes.
    Then go to Run and type msconfig. go to both Services and Startup and make sure anything that says apple, i tunes, or ipod is selected. then unplug your ipod. then restart both the ipod and the computer. after the computer starts open itunes and plug your ipod, wait 30 seconds and it should work.
    also make sure your computer is updated.
  6. omarnaji2003

omarnaji2003 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    your right firewire is alot faster then usb 2.0, but theres going to be USB 3.0 its speed is not final yet but it's about 5Gbps. it's that fast because it's going to be used for blue ray and HD DVD devices.
  7. shandy_hutton

shandy_hutton New Member

why would i be getting this error? should it be turned off or on? *confused*