Unable to restore to any 3.1.* or 4.*.* (Touch 2G non-MC)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by omnistegan, Aug 12, 2010.

1. omnistegan

omnistegan New Member

So I have an 8gb ipod touch 2g with a serial number staring with 9C. I have iTunes version 9.1.2.

No 4.*.* has ever installed successfully. They all end in unfixable recovery loops. I've tried iRecovery and other tools to no avail.

I've before had 3.1.3 installed and jailbroken (with spirit) and most recently had 3.1.2 not jailbroken.

With 4.0.2 out, I was willing to attempt the upgrade again, but I was in the same loop that I had when I tried 4.0.

Now I've been trying to get back to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 but they try to verify with apple and always fail before any restoring with a 3194 error code.

The logs show the "94" error code from the apple service indicating that it won't install.

So I downloaded and managed to restore to 2.1.1 and it works, but I would really like to get 3.1.3 installed.

I've tried 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0.0, and 4.0.2 in recovery and DFU modes, and they always produce 3194 errors.

Thanks for any and all help!

Here's a copy of the log:

2. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    MC isn't in the serial. It's a model type, MA/PA = 1st gen MB/PB = 2nd gen MC/PC = 3rd gen.
  3. omnistegan

omnistegan New Member

I was under the impression that some 2g ipod touches acted differently because they were "MC" models. I thought it had to do with the serial number, but I guess that may not be the case.

Edit: From what I can find, some 2nd Gen iPod Touches do have model numbers beginning with MC and act more like 3rd Gen Touches. My model number begins with MB.
  4. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Yes, 8GB "3G" models ARE in fact 2G models with an updated bootrom. But some people don't like to get all technical or even understand that. So some people just refer to it as a 3G model for less confusion.

Now my advice would be to try restoring on a different computer.