Unable to restore-please help (searched many other threads/FAQ, can't find solution)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by ipoduser85, Jul 25, 2008.

1. ipoduser85

ipoduser85 New Member

Unable to restore even after entering recovery mode (solved)

----Read my 3rd post for final fix that solved this issue.

Hello, as the subject says I am not noobing around asking for a question answered in a sticky or that has been resolved countless times in older threads. I have been looking for answers a few hours now, and really can't find anything.

Anyway, I was using ZiPhone to JB my 16gb touch that was in 1.1.4. The program went unresponsive and I'm really not sure what went wrong. However I'm not asking for help jailbreaking. As expected, my iPod is now just at the screen with the iTunes logo and cable on it.

I figured no big deal, and went about figuring out how to restore. I tried powering off, then reconnecting with the home button pressed, resetting the iPod while connected, then releasing the top button but keeping home pressed when the Apple logo appears, etc, and various other combinations of all that, which I have seen recommended in this forum and others. Anyway, the message screen that is supposed to come up which says iTunes has detected an iPod that needs restoring, or something along those lines, never comes up. iTunes never even responds to the iPod being plugged in and unplugged now. Instead, the Windows "Found New Hardware Wizard" keeps popping up when I connect the iPod or power it on.

I really don't know what to do, as far as I know from what I have read, there has to be a fix and my iPod isn't ruined, but I don't see why the fixes that are said to be 100% effective aren't working for me. Anyone?? I'm lost.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks for reading my post, any help would be so much appreciated!!
  2. dragnandy

dragnandy New Member

its not an ipod problem. that just means that windows does not detect the ipod and things its just an unknown hardware connected in the usb. try using different usb ports. im not really sure exactly how to fix your problem. i get this sometimes and sometimes i dont. just try plugging it in different usb ports or using a different cable.

or simply just restore it on someone elses computer with itunes.
  3. ipoduser85

ipoduser85 New Member

I didn't say Windows isn't detecting the iPod, I said iTunes isn't. I tried switching USB's for the hell of it anyway, but the point is my iPod IS being detected by my PC because the install new hardware wizard comes up and the iPod is listed in my device manager. The issue is that I can't get iTunes to pick it up to start the restore process.

Thanks for your help though, I'm definitely needing any ideas I can get.

Edit: I have seen a lot of people cry "brick" around here and been wrong, but I'm beginning to worry I didn't set Ziphone to run correctly and may have run some function that can in theory ruin a device if it's used wrong. I'm really not sure, I really need some more input please.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    UPDATE: Problem has been fixed, if anyone else has this problem here's what I did (though this is really just something random some of my machines have in common, I'll explain).

Besides the stuff I've tried listed above, I also tried reinstalling iTunes, as well as reinstalling earlier versions of iTunes. It didn't work. I tried on my other PC just for the sake of trying, it had the same version of iTunes I downgraded to, but did not work either. I also tried multiple USB 2.0's on it. Then I tried my laptop, iTunes immediately recognized the device was in recovery mode and I got it fixed up from there. The laptop has iTunes version 7.4.3.1 installed. I installed/uninstalled a few different versions on my desktop, but I suppose that particular one wasn't one of them.

After iTunes was finally recognizing the iPod, I attempted to restore it and was met with an error message reading the iPod couldn't be restored (error code -50).

If you also get this issue, follow the steps listed in Solution 1, they worked for me.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1539

Anyway, a bit of a messy fix but in the event this info could be useful to someone that's what I did.