Unable to remove Belkin "Clear Acrylic for iPod touch (2nd Gen)" case

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by xpfalcon, Jan 10, 2009.

1. xpfalcon

xpfalcon New Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    I have a new Ipod Touch and bought a Belkin clear hard case, which looks and seems to act fine, however I noticed I cannot remove the top part of the case.
    The other day I had it in my top shirt pocket and (wait for it) a piece of wet lettuce dropped out of my sandwich without me realising, straight onto my Touch. When I went to use the Touch, I noticed there was a bit of soggy lettuce on the screen, so I thought I'd take the plastic case off, to give it a good clean, but found I couldn't.

I have tried some of those thin rubber grip mats, used to open stubborn jar lids, but I cannot slide the case off. The bottom bit slides off real easy but the top just won't budge. I don't want to break the screen or anything just trying to get the case off.

I also noticed that If I run my fingernail along underneath the front edge, there is a deposit of fine dust/dirt etc. So it would be a good idea if I could get this cover off, to clean the unit occasionally.

I have sent an email to Belkin support and am waiting for a reply.

Anyone else had problems getting their hard cases off?
  2. thuyvanvu

thuyvanvu New Member

I have the same clear case on my IpodTouch, the case is snap together, everytimes my daughter (3 year old) drop the Ipod, the case is come aparts. You can slide at the volume and dock connector with fingernails to lift the top part off.
  3. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I prefer using a silicon case.
  4. xpfalcon

xpfalcon New Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    Thanks for the reply, I have weak fingernails, but I tried with thin piece of plastic to help pry it off, success!!

I noticed something else, I thought it was all plastic, however there seems to be two vertical ribs in the upper part, on the inside that are like soft rubber, obviously to ensure a snug fit and not scratch the back.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I was considering hard or silicone case and could not decide, so went for the hard case as it is clear, I am still thinking of trying a silicone one.

I like the ones where you can wind up the headphone cord at the back, but I have sennheiser in-ear headphones, and they don't fit in the normal headphone spot, but still better than wrapping around the touch as I am doing now.
  5. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    How about using invisishield?
  6. xpfalcon

xpfalcon New Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    I checked a couple of youtube demos of the invisible shield and they do look very good. Thanks for that suggestion.

I guess wireless headphones are the next big wish.
  7. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I would also suggest a belkin leather portfolio type. It makes the iPod look "a bit more fancy" in my opinion.
  8. ironhand

ironhand New Member

Got it!

I had exactly this problem when trying to remove the Belkin clear acrylic case from my wife's iPod Touch this morning. I was able to get the case off by squeezing the sides of the case together (rather than prying them apart) and then pulling on the iPod itself with one of those rubber-coated bottle opening tools (in order to get an adequate grip on the iPod). The key is squeezing the sides of the case together as this action flexes the back of the case and reduces the friction between the back of the iPod and the two rubber ribs that run up inside back of the case itself.

Hope that helps!
  9. melvinrawk

melvinrawk New Member

Well I had serious problems aswell haha.

Please Register or Log in to view images

What I did was I slid off the bottom half and blew hot air up through the bottom of the top half, and through the power button opening. It comes off with a good jerk immediately after you blow into it. Much easier than prying it off.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Hope this helps,
    Mel
  10. johonto

johonto New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ooh, are those tose cool flippy ones?