Unable to connect to iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aced6, Mar 27, 2010.

1. aced6

aced6 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Whenever I connect my iPod to my computer, iTunes comes up with an error saying:
    iTunes could not connect to the iPod because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000068)
    This is the latest symptom in a series of unusual occurences.

My iPod has 1GB free (this is a FACT) but right now, SBSettings is telling me I have 0MB free on /var

I can't view any emails - there's a blank preview with the date 00-12-31 (iPod Touch didn't exist in 2000!)

I can't add new appointments to my calendar, but I can view appointments already entered

While charging, my Ipod is becoming unusually hot - I can feel the heat through the case.

Is this a hardware issue? Or is it worth a restore? I only have 2 weeks left in my warranty to solve this. I think it's a hardware issue, as the iPod is heating up unusually.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I'm about to do a restore and I want to record my sources, so I tried opening cydia, but it won't open. I press the icon, a window flashes open, and it closes.
    When I try to enter safe mode through SBSettings, the iPod resprings, but no safe mode. I hate to say it, but this is showing symptoms of a virus. Oh, wait, it's an iPod. Nevermind.
    Respringing and rebooting have had no effect.
  2. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The best thing to do is restore it. And, a virus might actually exist for jailbroken ipt's and iPhone's: http://www.redmondpie.com/protect-iphone-3gs-against-ikee-virus-attack-9140090/ . Of course, that was an iPhone worm, but the same could be said for the ipt. It's a very odd problem that you have there. What jailbroken apps do you have installed btw?
  3. aced6

aced6 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I can't open Cydia to check them all, but the major ones I can think of are:

Terminal
    Winterboard
    SBSetings
    PogoPlank
    Categories

I might just restore it and set it up again. That will clean out all the junk anyways.
  4. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    the safe mode thing, that happened to me and Cl8rs. Its not abnormal. it happens. the mail thing, i don't know. just go ahead and restore. i highly doubt its a virus.
  5. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yes, I would also highly doubt it is a virus. Let us know if it works properly after you restore it!

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. aced6

aced6 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Restore mode just wouldn't happen and iTunes couldn't connect to the device, so I put it in DFU mode and iTunes recognized it. However, when I pressed restore, iTunes is asking me to agree to "updating" to 2.2.1 firmware. What's going on? Shouldn't I be restoring to my current firmware?
  7. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I take it your currently running 3.1.2?
  8. aced6

aced6 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes, I am. When I canceled it and tried to restore it again, it asked me to update to 3.1.3. My serial number is MB so I figured why not? Now iTunes is giving me 2 error messages right after another: 1611 and 0xE800065. Should I be looking into replacement through warranty?
    I watched it try to restore, and as soon as it "prepares the device to restore" and the wheel shows up, the device reboots into restore mode. I'm just about ready to give up.
    I successfully restored it on a different PC. Looks like my PC doesn't work with iPods. Crap. I Just spent $1500 on this beast.
    Never mind. After the restore, my PC picked it up after a few tries. Weird.