iOS 3.1 Un-jailbreaking - best method?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by sbelli, Feb 10, 2010.

1. sbelli

sbelli New Member

I've had my iPod Touch jailbroken for about 6-months now and, I know this will be an unpopular statement here, but I really haven't used any of the jailbroken functions all that much. And find myself getting more and more applications from the standard store, taking up space.

So with the new firmware released from Apple, I was thinking of going back -- at least for now -- partly to reclaim some of that space from my 8 GB iPod (regretting not getting a bigger one).

If I just upgrade the firmware, I know it will un-jailbreak it, but will that space be reclaimed? Or do I need to manually remove folders, etc.? Basically, what's the best way to do it.
  2. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Make sure to "restore" to the new firmware, instead of "upgrading" to it. Restoring removes all traces of the jailbreak including files, while merely "upgrading" may keep some of the jailbroken applications or data.
  3. sbelli

sbelli New Member

But won't "restore" also erase all of my apps/games legitimately purchased as well as gamesaves? Yes, I know I can re-download everything, but the gamesaves are important particularly for things like GTA.
  4. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You will probably lose your saved games if you restore, but if you only upgrade there will be traces of the jailbreak left on your device
  5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Transfer purchases from your iPod, then backup in iTunes. After you restore, your game saves can be transferred back.
  6. sbelli

sbelli New Member

Hmmm...seems like it might be a lot of work as far as transfering purchases, etc. If I just do an upgrade, can I use one of the file management tools just to delete the folders from the jailbreak? If so, which folders would they be?
  7. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Connect iPod to Computer. Open iTunes. Right click on the iPod in the devices panel. Click "Transfer Purchases"
  8. sbelli

sbelli New Member

Sorry again if I sound stupid, but when you "transfer purchases" it also transfers the game saves?
  9. Mr.Funman

Mr.Funman Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    DFU restore then setup a new device. enough said.
  10. sbelli

sbelli New Member

Well, my goal is to not lose my applications and gamesaves. Not that I'm trying to question your knowledge, but DFU restore doesn't sound like the right to do that. Wouldn't it wipe the slate clean?

I think I'll just upgrade and try to look for file folders that belong to the jailbreak to regain my space.