iOS 3.1 Un-Jailbreaking - advice needed from Developers and programming folk

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by JackWH, Jan 17, 2010.

1. JackWH

JackWH New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hello folks!

I'm sure this thread has come up before but I have a slightly different scenario.

Basically a few months ago I happily jailbroke my iPod Touch 2G on 3.1. Things have been good fun but now the time has come to un-jailbreak.

The reason for this is because I have now got a MacBook and have started to get really in to iPhone App Development. The story really is that a few months ago I sold my website to an American Entrepreneur. Although he technically owns it, I still do a fair bit of work on maintenance, new features, etc. and now he wants me to develop the iPhone App for it.

Obviously getting serious about development means that I should use an unjailbroken iPod so that I can use Instruments etc. to monitor the performance of my app as closely as possible to that on a 'regular' iPod Touch/iPhone.

What I need to know is this:

1) To unjailbreak, do I simply backup and then Restore my iPod Touch from the backup?
    2) Will I need to recreate a provisioning profile with Apple in order to test my developments on the device itself, or will it still work for the same device?
    3) Is there anything else I should watch out for that may affect developing and using the device itself? Will it still integrate with XCode the same as before? etc.

Thank you,

Jack
  2. Captain*

Captain* Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    As for the jail breaking part, restore, then restore again.

1) First restore removes JB but files from the previous JB may be left on the device
    2)Second restore will remove the leftover files

(oh and set up as new device both times)
  3. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You can use the same provisioning profile, as the UDID has not changed.

However, having a jailbroken device won't affect things at all really, and you should actually /consider/ users that are jailbroken when you make an app. On top of that, any app you make "for a website" doesn't sound like the most performance intensive application, so there is really nothing to worry about.

Also, if you had a ton of MobileSubstrate extensions sucking up memory, it is understandable that you would want to get rid of these for testing. In that case, just go into Safe Mode; you retain your jailbreak, but temporarily eschew anything that could possibly affect your app's performance.
  4. realizment

realizment New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    • Irrelevant/off-topic posts
    how much did u get for your site? ;-)
  5. JackWH

JackWH New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks for the advice guys.

OK - but obviously non-jailbroken users are my 'priority' to take into consideration. The app basically uses four UIWebViews to display different elements of the site but (if you checked out the site) you'll see there's 'wires' which connect to different sites (like Twitter, Facebook, etc.) which will need their own Objective-C coding to be implemented into the site.

I realise I could keep the jailbreak on - but to be honest I never really used that many 'features' anyway. Things like Backgrounder were nice but I realise I could live without them. It doesn't matter to me, personally, that much if I'm jailbroken or not, although the novelty was fun for a while.

Thanks for the advice, I will restore twice tonight and report back later.

Jack
  6. JackWH

JackWH New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    OK, I got delayed and will do it tonight. Quick question - I've backed-up through iTunes but if I'm to restore this backup, it won't restore the jailbreak files will it?
  7. JackWH

JackWH New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Cheers! Restored once, now running a second time. Such fun.