iOS 4.0 Ultimate Way to Use iDevices?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Virtualball, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

So, I've been growing tired of my iPhone solely because it's a hassle to get from A to B. See, to switch applications I need to either:
    1. Click the home button
    2. Click the home button again
    3. Choose app from switcher

or

1. Click the home button
    2. Slide to the correct SpringBoard page
    3. Choose app

notice how step two could be 3 pages or more.

Also, I'm almost disgusted with the notifications system in iOS. It's turned stale and very monolithic. It pauses movies to tell me my "GodFinger mana is overflowing," it stops games to tell me someone commented on my facebook picture, etc. This is tiring and ugly.

See, the iOS was developed for a single page, non-multitasking interface. It's all just tacked onto the original OS 1.x which was one page. This is the opposite of eloquent and user friendly. So, what can we do about that, seeing as with the world of jailbreaks, we can do anything!

My current setup is Notified Pro and Notification bar set up to work when i slide my finger downwards from the status bar. This provides a very Android-esque solution and is very clean. So, when I'm playing a game, now a tiny little notification pops up on the side. Also, if I want to read more, I just slide down from the top. It couldn't be simpler.

Now, to fix the multitasking problem, I opened Activator and set slide up from the bottom of the screen to app switcher. Now, to bring up the application switcher, all i do is slide up. It's intuitive because the screen moves with your finger, more or less.

Anyone else have any tips?
  2. Nickmadkiller

Nickmadkiller Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I like the notification going to the side.I also get annoyed by that.
  3. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    i just use spotlight, but im sure your looking for something more

it would be nice to have a popup spotlight
  4. sudadoda

sudadoda Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I would just leave it and not complain. You can always just disable notification by going to settings>notifications.
  5. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

If one were to do that, how would anything get done?
    Oh, you don't like the way our country is run? Leave it and don't complain.

I want to enjoy my notifications; Android and WebOS are beautiful whereas iOS is monolithic and bland. I vote for reform!

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. freemini

freemini Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The dudes that made Notified Pro are working on a notification replacement. They will work similarly to webOS and Android. Looking forward to that. If you're on 3.x you can use Grip to get notifications displayed nicely, however it doesn't work for notifications on 4.x.
  7. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    ^this

go to their twitter and suggest any ideas u have for ways the notifications pop
  8. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't like doing the activator multitasking because when playing games like FlickKick you swipe up from the bottom of the screen. I wish griP would come back.
  9. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

VirtualBall, do you mind telling me how you got your notifications like the way you say? I'd love to have an Android-esque notifications bar.

Also, I really don't mind the notifications, however I've noticed with JB, that if I try to press the home button twice, it'll sometimes recognize it as 3 clicks, bringing my White-On-Black on, and sometimes if I press it once, it'll recognize it as two and bring the mtask bar.
  10. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Purchase Notified Pro in the Cydia store, then set it as the default when sliding down from the status bar with Activator.

For the notifications bar, install "Notification Bar for Notified".