"Ultimate iPod Touch Gold Back" - Review + Tut.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Abcmsaj, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    This is my first review - And I'm honoured to be looking at a peach of an item!

This is the "Ultimate iPod Touch Back." It is a shiny gold, iPod back genuine replacement part, which is claimed by Gold_Finger to be "scratchproof." Here's the facts:

I've been granted the chance to review one by the man himself, and I'll also give you hints and tips along the way which I wished I'd known before starting this.

Opening the package.

In the morning, I recieved a brown, padded envelope in the post. Opening it, revealed two bags. Inside the bubblewrapped bag, was the Casing itself, and the see-through bag contains the equipment I'd use to take my original back off my iPod.

Please Register or Log in to view images

These green, plastic sticks were going to be used to unpop the 16 clasps around my iPod's back housing, allowing me to lift it off. This was not the case - More explained later.

The Case.

The back itself, was a beautiful gold colour, which I immediately put under a tap to wash the smudges.

Drying it off, I found that at the moment - there were 0 scratches on it, and it felt the same as my current back.

I admired it for a while, showed my brothers, went on webcam to show a jealous friend and then took photos of it. When it was completely dry - I prepared my old iPod.

Removing the original back.

Removing the original back proved a challenge. As I tried to prize it off with the green sticks, they flaked away leaving plastic wedged inside my iPod. I tried plectrums of all thicknesses and colours, but it led it the build-up of plastic in my iPod.

I was reluctant to try anything metal, as I thought it would scratch my iPod - But I was desperate and the forum had given me the advice I needed. Here's what you'll need to help take your iPod's back off:

A very thin, flathead screwdriver. The trick is to firstly remove the single clip at the top. This was the easiest one, and I managed it with a piece of plastic.

What you then want to do, is slowly insert the screwdriver into gaps along the side, and give it a wiggle. If you have unsteady hands like me, it will leave chips, but they don't bother me (iPhone 3G soon. Woo)

Eventually, all 16 clips will pop off and you can take your iPod's back off. I didn't know this, but the wifi receptor and the power button WILL BE attached to the back of your casing. No wires attach them, as Apple decided to use contacts in this design.

2. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Removing the parts.

Your aparatus:

• A small, crosshead screwdriver.
    • A magnet.

You will be removing 4 screws - 2 from the Wifi Receiver and 2 from the Sleep/Wake button. They are VERY small - The magnet is recommended to hold your screws in place so they don't fall onto the floor or into your computer keyboard..

Peel that brown piece of "tape" off the back carefully. This is a wire. I think it's a contact, too. I had a lot of trouble with the power button. I couldn't seem to get it back into a position where it clicked when I pressed it. Keep trying. I had to have a sleep to clear my head.. Lol.

The Pieces in Place.​

It's easy to do if you're not tired. Don't look at this review and think: "Oh no... I can't do this.. It's too hard." because it's not. Really, anybody can do it if you have hands, a screwdriver and common sense.

The Scratch Test.​

In my honest opinion, I didn't believe that this was scratch-proof. I'll be honest. I was adamant that I was going to test it ON THE BACK of the case. I was so worried, in fact, that I didn't test the scratch-proofness until I was ready to put the back straight back onto my iPod. The time was now.

I picked up two screwdrivers and swiped them back and forth on the casing.. And again... And again. I couldn't believe it... Not a single scratch.

I took it a step further. Car keys. These left scratches... Well... I thought they were scratches..

They were black marks (Bad image below. Look in the center of the case to see the dark blur) that I thought had damaged the case.

I licked my finger, wiped it on the black marks and they VANISHED.
    This back was genuinely scratch-resistant.

3. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Replacing the back.

The hardest part over, it's time to test the ease to replace the back. I checked my power button... Seems a bit loose but I'm hoping it will work..

-Goes to put back onto iPod-

Right, I'm back. That took me 5 minutes to do. Here's my tips:

• Attach the top clip first.
    • Put pressure on one side.
    • When one side is clipped into place, check that the bottom is connected.
    • Then, wiggle the case and pull hard on the side that isn't attached. You're looking to lift this side up and over... If you get what I mean.

The Finished Product.

Here's photos of my new iPod.

(The white part is just where I scratched my iPod. There is no gap.)

The Verdict.

Overall, I think that this product is ideal if you can't afford an actual gold-plated back. The price is affordable and it promises to give you a scratch-proof, good-looking iPod back: Which is does.

The look is of genuine Apple standards, and it turns eyes and gets plently of interest. It does feel a little sticky and rough, but that's only because of the material... The reliability makes up for it. You can even lie and say it's 24 ct Gold. Noone would know - It looks the same..

Price: 9/10
    Look: 10/10
    Feel: 8/10
    Durability: 10/10

More Info?​

For more info, Visit either of these two threads:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68836

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68150

Or PM Gold_Finger HERE.

Thank you for reading. Thanks to Gold_Finger for letting me test it out. I'm looking forward to DarthPod, too. (Read about that here.)
  4. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    wow. i want this now. un scratchable eh?

at the moment i have the scratched normal back. and it looks nice, feels like brushed metal, but the look of it is going, and i need a new back. could u PM me the link?

never mind, foudn the link
  5. carlos!

carlos! Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    imo that gold back looks terrible
    but good tutorial and review.
  6. potroast32

potroast32 Banned

I bought one yesterday, he said there were problems with the old tools to take them off so he had me buy some from another person and he said he would refund me, do you think there would be a problem if i put an invisisheild on it(like do the chemicals need oxygen or anything) , i have one laying around.... it seems like it smudges really easy, invisisheilds dont really smudge.
  7. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I don't think you'd need an invisishield. What would you put it on there for?
  8. stabbyjoe12

stabbyjoe12 Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    the wobbly buton happened to me to :<
    but my mate fixed it
    ill ask him how
  9. potroast32

potroast32 Banned

it smudges alot, invisisheilds dont smudge, i just figure it will make it look better

also in this picture it looks like there is a nice sized gap between the ipod and the back, is this right? or did it fit on as well as the old one

10. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    That would be awesome!

Thanks

I see... Hmm.
    Try it? I'm sure it would work. If it does, get back to me about it and I'll put some on mine too. Fingerprinty isn't cool

EDIT: Oh, no I fixed it.
    I'll take another pic now and replace it.
    Basically, I just pulled it with a bit of forced and it clipped over the places it needed to be.
    I'll take a photo now, brb.