Ultimate Fact Thread: Part II

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by spoonforknife, Mar 1, 2008.

1. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

THE ULTIMATE FACT THREAD: PART II
    s p o o n f o r k n i f e

IF YOU LIKE THIS GUIDE, FEEL FREE TO CLICK ON THAT CONVENIENT LITTLE SCALE TO THE LEFT AND REP ME UP. THIS GUIDE TOOK A LOT OF HARD WORK!

THIS GUIDE WAS MADE IN CONJUNCTION WITH POISONJAM. SEE PART I HERE FOR INFORMATION ON MANY MORE THINGS.

====THE DICTIONARY====

coming soon. maybe.

====FIRMWARE====

What's the best firmware? Most Recent?
    The best firmware is all based on opinion. Each has it's pros and cons, so you can see for yourself here. The most recent firmware as of March 2nd is 1.1.4.

Where Can I get this firmware?
    See my thread here. Also see that thread for directions to get it on the iPod rather than just downloading it.

====TECH HELP====

How do I get my Wi-Fi to work?
    Check Danls92's guide to make sure your DNS is the same and correct so you can connect to the internet. See it here.

How do I force restore?
    See a113524c's and Zombie_Killer's guide here. Note that a force restore will wipe everything on your iPod, and should only be used as a last resort.

My Icons have all disappeared. Can I make them appear again?
    Sure, see my thread here for several methods on how to make your icons appear.

Help, I have the spinning circle of doom! Is my iPod bricked?
    No, it's not. To get out of the spinning circle of doom simply delete the last thing you installed via SSH. If you can't use SSH, check the Applications section below for alternatives. You will need to replace your N45AP.plist too. For a N45AP.plist link, check the attachments. This was uploaded courtesy of khaos139.

====JAILBREAK====

Is jailbreak legal?
    Yes, jailbreaks and soft upgrades are completely legal. On the other hand, it does void your warranty. But with a force restore (see above) you can remove all traces of jailbreak and regain your warranty. In addition, installing copyrighted software such as the iPhone applications, or ROMS (Emulator Games) IS illegal. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

What is the difference between a soft upgrade and a jailbreak?
    A soft upgrade merely exchanges the old firmware internals with the new firmware internals. This will fool your iPod and iTunes into believing that it has actually been upgraded to the newer firmware when in reality it hasn't. A jailbreak is actually using the firmware, and jailbreaking the firmware directly.

Which is better?
    A jailbreak. A soft upgrade just exchanges the internals of the firmware to the new one. This fools the iPod, iTunes, and (if you're not observant) you. A jailbreak actually uses the firmware and is less buggy. For example, in one soft upgrade for 1.1.3, there was a glitch that made you go to the restore screen occasionally for no apparent reason.

Can I jailbreak a 32 GB iPod touch?
    The following also applies to Pre-MacWorld (Pre-January 15th, 2008) 16 GB iPod touches. Yes. It will be more difficult than others though. To start things off, the pre-MacWorld 16 GB iPod touches and 32 GB iPod touches have 2 drives. ZiPhone is designed for 1 drive. You cannot use ZiPhone and have it work on either of these machines. If you are one of the few who got it to work, you are VERY lucky.

How do I jailbreak?
    Select your firmware

What are some of the numerous jailbreaks and soft upgrades?
    - DevCon's Soft Upgrade
    - ZiPhone

Is there any way to transfer my apps, ROMS, etc. through each jailbreak?
    Yes. It is slightly more complicated than usual though. You must completely backup your applications folder via SSH and put them on your computer. Then, once you have jailbroken, you must place the applications back in your applications folder and change permissions to 755.

====APPLICATIONS====

Where Do I Get Applications?
    You get applications off of Installer.app from any one of the sources in this thread. If you have a lack of wi-fi and cannot use Installer or SSH, see the next question below.

I don't have Wi-Fi. How do I install applications?
    Since you can't use installer to install applications "on-the-go," and you can't use SSH which requires wi-fi, you're kind of stuck. Fortunately, you're in luck. For windows, use iPhoneBrowser. For a mac, use MegaPhone. Keep in mind that MegaPhone is a 7-day trial. You must buy it after that for $20.00.

What does this Application do?
    Check the Wiki Page here for Application Summaries. You can add and edit applications to the page. Just remember to try to keep it in Alphabetical order.

What are the best applications?
    Well, judge for yourself. You can see the application summary list above, or just install some stuff from Installer. It's your iPod, it's your decision.

Where can I get Backups of the applications?
    Stephen.4 has been kind enough to upload copies of 1.1.1, 1.1.2, and 1.1.3 applications. Get the backups here.

====THEMES====

I have a problem.
    Well, if you have any kind of problem, this thread pretty much has everything. It is called the Summerboard/Theme FAQ.

====THIS SITE====

How do I prevent myself from being flamed?
    See Danls92's guide to get your question answered here. Just try to be courteous to other users, and search before you post.

How Do I Become a Moderator?
    You must be selected by bgizzle. Post count is not correlated with moderation at all. Just help people, and you have a chance of being selected.

I need help. Where's a Moderator?
    Since bgizzle took down the Forum Leaders list, I decided to make one with all Moderators, Super Moderators, and Administrator here. So PM them. Do not spam them though. Do not expect them to get back to you immediately, they have lives.

====OTHER====

I have a scratch. Can I get it out?
    Scratches are permanent. It is a physical indentation on your device. Your best hope is to use chrome polish, or something called applesauce (not the food).

Can I save webpages for offline use?
    Yes, you can. Just be aware that links from that site obviously won't work. This is useful for a plane ride and you need to save a few articles to read. Go to this site on your iPod touch and follow the directions.

====PLEASE NOTE====

Please note that while I will try to keep this and all my other threads updated, I will not always have time to do so. I will also try to keep this "synced" with the other part of this thread. Thank you,
    spoonforknife

Attached Files:

2. badbuddah

badbuddah New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Exellent topic, clear and usefull... Great!
  3. ur_so_beautiful

ur_so_beautiful New Member

What? 1.1.4 is available now, not until the 2nd March

Why don't you just say 'you can download 1.1.4 via iTunes when you plug in your iPod/iPhone' or something
  4. <drkill>

<drkill> New Member

Very cool, very cool
  5. Vision_Again

Vision_Again New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Should help many people sweet.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. makaveldon04i

makaveldon04i New Member

only if people would actually follow this 'fact'

How do I prevent myself from being flamed?
    See Danls92's guide to get your question answered here. Just try to be courteous to other users, and search before you post.
  7. gregglesaurus

gregglesaurus New Member

Great guide, I just jb'd my touch using ziphone, worked a charm. However, I don't have Wi-Fi, so could you give any further instructions on how to use MegaPhone or iPhoneBrowser to actually install third-party apps? Cos I couldn't figure it out. And I spent about 4 hours of googling to try and do so. And that made me very sad. Thanks in advance!

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Cowboy fan

Cowboy fan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Adding Rep.
  9. andree

andree New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Excellent! this post should be linked under each start of a thread, just so that people stop embarrassing themselves!
  10. R I O T

R I O T New Member

Nice job dude!

I'll definitely find this useful in the future...