iPhone 3G UK iPhone 3G in-store activation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by killerz3r0, Jun 25, 2009.

1. killerz3r0

killerz3r0 Member

Since AT&T has in-store activation it's not possible to buy an iPhone and unlock it. So I was wondering whether O2 in the UK lets you take your iPhone 3G home and activate there which would allow you to unlock it?
  2. pjazzy

pjazzy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I just got a used one which needed acivation. You can use a pay as you go O2 sim card and load iTunes. It will unlock it

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. killerz3r0

killerz3r0 Member

I live outside the UK and I need a country where they don't have in-store activation. So what about for new iPhone's? Can anyone who bought an iPhone in the UK tell me whether you're allowed to activate them at home? Do they take your details? Thanks!
  4. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    im not sure if they take your details for pay as you go, but no they do not do in-store activation, they will if you ask for a demonstration but just say no. However the phone will still be locked to O2
  5. ShizerMonkey

ShizerMonkey Banned

Device:
    iPad
    No they activate it im store !!
  6. nathanmarck

nathanmarck New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I got a iPhon 3G from an 02 shop in Milton Keynes, They asked for ID and details (apparenly because its alot of money) I got given 2 boxes, One for the iPhone and one for the 02 sim, I went home plugged it in, iTunes found it and activated the sim and the phone. Might be the sim was already activated i dunno, But thats my story
  7. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    i've had 2 iphone 3GS's from two different O2 stores, neither have activated in store.