UISegmented Control question

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Chicken, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Is there a way I can make it so that you can select more than one segment on a UISegmentedControl? Seeing as there is no actual option, I'm guessing I'll have to overide one (or some) of it's methods.

Thanks, Chicken

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

No. Not only can you not do this, it is highly unadvisable. The UISegmentedControl is equivalent to a radio button. Being able to select more then one is confusing and most likely sign of poor interface choices. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_button?wasRedirected=true

But, this is what you want to hear: yes. Just override the UISegmentedControl's methods to allow for setting mire than one segment as highlighted. With clever code, you can give the impression of multiple selections when really what you're doing is multiple highlighting.
  3. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    However much I believe that this is the right way to do my interface for this app (It's also been done in a mac app), as to your poor interface choices comment, I'll look for an alternative way I can do it and fall back on this if I cannot find anything.

Thanks Skylar

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just make some custom buttons or something, that change to look selected when tapped.