Uh... HELLO? Landscape Stock Springboard Theme! Duh!

Discussion in 'Customization Requests' started by JusTiNcReDiBLe, Sep 7, 2009.

1. JusTiNcReDiBLe

JusTiNcReDiBLe Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    IMAGES WILL BE ADDED LATER, ESPECIALLY ONCE PEOPLE START POSTING THEIR IDEAS.

If this thread should be moved to the 'iPod touch Themes and Customization', please move it for me or ask me to.

So it's obvious that there are wonderful people out there who have created many landscape themes, but how about taking the look of the stock iPod Touch / iPhone springboard and turning it into a Landscape theme?

Things That Would Be Needed That We Can Already Do

1) Rotating the Apps
    Well, this is as easy as using rotated icons. The process of finding and rotating all the icons that people need will be a bore, but that's how it is for all icon themes anyways. QUESTION 1: Can a collection of rotated apps be activated via Winterboard? We need someone to upload this to Cydia and constantly update it as more and more people send him/her rotated app icons.

2) Rotating the Status Bar
    I already know it's possible and already has been done by lots of people. If someone wouldn't mind posting a tutorial and/or attaching a file, it would be appreciated. http://www.ifans.com/forums/...d.php?t=212439

2) Removing the Clock on the Lockscreen
    If someone knew how to rotate the Live Clock that would be great, however I don't think we can do that yet. Can someone post how to remove it? EDIT: Search Cydia for "Clock Hide".​

3) Changing the Slider
    ...Hmm. Maybe we can change the slider path so that it slides down (when you're holding it in landscape orientation... meaning if it was in Portrait, you'd be sliding it to the left instead of the right by default). But until we figure that out, it will probably end up being a tap to unlock.​

4) App Labels for Docked Icons?
    I think we're all smart enough to figure out what the apps on our dock are without their labels. We COULD just remove them... EDIT: Wyndwarrior said something about a page overlay which would "rotate" (not exactly...) the app labels but keep them "glued" to each page, so when you slided the page it would move WITH it. From other posts I've read, it seems pretty clean.​

5) How to Switch Pages?
    Since the point is to keep it as "stock" as possible, I think we should keep it the way it is instead of using Springjumps. The only issue would be that if you want to use your right thumb to use the home button, you'll have to move your first-page apps to the last page (unless you want to be sliding pages DOWN to navigate to the last page, which I would not like to do).

If that's too much of a hassle, use you're iPod so that the home button is closest to your LEFT hand. But unless we decide on JUST ONE orientation of holding the iDevice, we'll have to end up making two different themes: one for righties and one for lefties. Otherwise, the icons will be upside-down for some/most of us.​

6) Fix the Calendar icon?
    ikesmasher's thread (http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1845381) explains that we can't easily rotate the icon, nor the number inside it, for that matter. Wyndwarrior (I think) says that in order to do that, we'd have to do some messing around with fonts and stuff, which I have no idea how to do and wouldn't bother doing it unless it could be incorporated with Winterboard. I would just say (to the one who would be helping us make these icons), "leave it blank, or replace the number with something else".​

-----

Please don't let this idea go to waste. This my longest thread so far and it took like 45 minutes to think about it and write it up. Ideas and suggestions welcome, if you don't like the idea, don't post.
  2. wyndwarrior

wyndwarrior Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    For the icon lables, just use a page overlay with all the lables in on image.

Landscape status bar is possible, right here: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212439

Slider can be a tap to unlock type thing.

There shouldn't be a live clock with the default firmware. It's a package in Cydia. Just turn it off or uninstall it.
  3. JusTiNcReDiBLe

JusTiNcReDiBLe Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So if I switched pages, would the same labels still be there would would they switch with each page? And also, wouldn't this mean that in order for everyone to use such a theme that they would need each page overlay custom-made to whatever apps they had on each page?

Thanks, I'll post that on the thread starter later.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, but if we wanted to have a slider, could we have it slide in the other direction so that it would slide down for a right-handed person?

Oh that's not what I meant... mine's not live... it's just a clock.

Ex. "7:47 [line break] Monday, September 7".

So how would I go about removing it?
  4. UberNub

UberNub New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    There's a Cydia tweek called Clock Hide.
  5. JusTiNcReDiBLe

JusTiNcReDiBLe Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok thanks, I'll update the thread starter with that as well, as soon as I finish all this damn homework... (hypocritic, aren't I? Saying I won't do it since I have homework even though I have time to be typing this...

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  6. iBiite iChu

iBiite iChu Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    This is true, it would be so easy. We just have to put it all together. Turning the icons is easy. In iPhoto, you can click rotate. And click it three times for the home button under your right thumb. (my fav)
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Also, there is a thing called the iPhone Configuration Utility. It can set up your iPhone with extra settings, like being able to use a full keyboard for the pass code. Maybe we could figure out how to turn it to landscape since that would be an awful long slide.

EDIT: Sorry, double post.

EDIT: I made one public. Just download and then email to your iPod. Open it on your iPod and click install. The whole thing is made by Apple, so no problem. http://tinyurl.com/configme
  7. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    There have been so many preview threads for things like this, none of them ever get finished. Wyndwarrior weren't you pretty involved in the last one? That had just about everything?
  8. JusTiNcReDiBLe

JusTiNcReDiBLe Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Not sure what his last one was, but I'm thinking you're talking about ikesmasher's thread? I don't want to be a thief, but would it be possible to attach all of your work to this thread, wyndwarrior? We should ask ikesmasher as well. I know you said it's still in "beta" but perhaps other people could work on what you so far.

I Still need to know which things can be activated via Winterboard and which things can't. A list would help.