Uh... Brick on iPod Touch? Read this.

Discussion in 'Pwnage and Winpwn Discussions' started by KingOfWar, Apr 7, 2008.

1. KingOfWar

KingOfWar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well theres alot going on about if PwnAge or WinPWN can perminantly brick your iPod Touch (I know it can brick the iPhone). Theres a bunch of posts conflicting with each other. Like this one saying that the guy bricked his iPod Touch and he has a video proving it.

Source: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=455358#post455358

Or a video like this that has CMW stating that an iPod Touch CANT get bricked.

Source: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55286

Now I know when you brick meens that your iPod / iPhone doesnt turn on at all.. But whats the diffrence if your iPod just loops. its still a brick IMO.

Me? I wont be using WinPwn till the 2nd or 3rd STABLE release. Unless something convinces me that my baby (iPod Touch xD) wont be bricked.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Define me your definition of a Brick.
  3. KingOfWar

KingOfWar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well something close to you not being able to use anything on your iPod / iPhone. Not even see anything. So a black screen. And you can NEVER fix it. Something like that. Or in easier terms... a piece of metal and plastic, nothing more. When its bricked of course.
  4. xPm

xPm New Member

Problem in your first quote is that his home button is broken = hardware problem.

He should have restored it and send it to apple for a repair, if you ask me.
  5. KingOfWar

KingOfWar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well if you read the actual topic it sais later down that the home button stopped working AFTER he Pwned
  6. crepi

crepi New Member

Device:
    iPod touch

Not really.... in the thread it sais it was already broken.....
    read by yourself :

7. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I bet you guys anything... that the guys that got their iPods "bricked" had their iPods jailbroken, while do the Pwning process...

You have to start from a clean 1.1.4...
  8. influence

influence New Member

a block of clay hardened by drying in the sun or burning in a kiln, and used for building, paving, etc.: traditionally, in the U.S., a rectangle 21/4 × 33/4 × 8 in. (5.7 × 9.5 × 20.3 cm), red, brown, or yellow in color.

sorry, i couldn't resist. just having abit of fun

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

No you don't. My touch was jailbroken when I pwned it and I had no problems. You do not have to restore before you use Pwnage. You do have to put it in restore mode, but it's fine if its jailbroken.
  10. madmax666

madmax666 New Member

Guys, seriously stop worring about bricking your damn ipods. It cannot be done with pwnage tool, and wont be done with winpwn cuz it's a damn port. I have used pwnage tool on OSX86 on my PC and actually thought i bricked my iphone because instead of rebooting after the pwning process, it just shut off and would not turn on at all. I managed to fix it! I followed what somebody wrote on one of the supposed bricked ipod threads in the pwnage tool section.

I entered DFU mode after pluging iphone to computer, holding hold and home for exactly ten seconds, and releasing hold button but keeping home button pushed down. I then heard a beep on my computer saying that it was recognising the iphone in DFU mode. I could then restore in itunes and it was fixed.

I later realised i was using ipod 1.1.4 firmware and not iphone firmware. Stupid but honest mistake imo. I even "bricked" it a second because i am stubborn and just thought it was the pwnage tool being sketchy, but it was my PERNSONAL mistake all along.

So you see? Pwning your iphone WILL NOT BRICK. It's a stable process that takes a few seconds and then voilà. You got an iphone/ipod that can run custom firmwares, which is gonna be pretty damn sweet in the very near future. Right now it allows you to restore to an already jailbroken state, which i think is pretty cool, but it's not for everybody i guess.

Now the thing about being able to brick an iphone is also untrue. You can mess it up badly by messing around with the baseband and it failing, but that's not even something most people are going to do because it is not necessary for them. IF you mess around with the iphone's baseband and it fails, it will damage the "phone part" of your iphone (wifi, edge, unable to call), but not the rest. You could always just use it as an ipod with the games you've managed to install before you broke it.

Please Register or Log in to view images

But yeah, speaking with personal experience when i say u can screw up your iphone/ipod touch, but it's fixable.