Ubuntu vs. Xubuntu vs. Fedora

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Tariomaster, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Tariomaster

Tariomaster Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Which is better?

Please Post a Comment rating all of the following out of 10:

Graphics (are the graphics amazing or horrible? Does the OS let you theme?)
    Communtity Support (Documentation, forum support)
    Applications/Games (Quality, not Quantity!)
  2. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

I'm not sure. I have only tried Ubuntu, but I have a copy of Fedora right now. I'm thinking about trying out Xubuntu soon as well. So far Ubuntu looks pretty good. Really haven't got really deep, but it seems really cool. Try Ubuntu out first and then see. I am currently a member of ubuntuforums.com or something like that. I'm pretty sure all of them have pretty good support. This website has a lot of support as well in this section. If you have any issues just get ask us here.

Also, check this post out:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1049628&postcount=2

just found it.
  3. Tariomaster

Tariomaster Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I am in the exact same position as you
  4. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ubuntu and Xubuntu are essentially the same. Xubuntu uses the xfce window manager, and Ubuntu uses gnome. Personally I prefer Ubuntu over Xubuntu.

Fedora is not good for support. Ubuntu has great community support with answers for just about every question you may have.

Ubuntu looks nice enough imo, and you can theme it however you like.

There aren't really many games for linux, that's not really the point of linux. There's things like solitaire and minesweeper included.

The applications are usually good. It depends what you want to do with it. Some areas are stronger than others.

I can't really rate out of 10 because it varys so much. But in my mind I have the number 8 for some reason...
  5. lszanto

lszanto New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I don't really like fedora, it is a bit more complex and harder to get stuff to work that ubuntu/xubuntu. The ubuntu forums are great and you can get help and answers really easily. With Ubuntu/Xubuntu it is essentially the same operating system with a different window manager being Gnome/XFCE generally speaking xfce is for older computers as it requires less ram/resources to run. Each one of these operating systems can be themed very nicely, much more extensivly that windows or mac. As for games, there are a few high quality games such as Assult Cube, Tremelous but it depends on your gaming style, I quite like Frets On Fire which is open source guitar hero for the computer.
  6. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    1.) Practically any system running X11/Xorg (with GTK, QT, wxwidgets, etc. toolkits can be themed). This includes almost every Open Source system. "0/10"

2.) Community Support will always be there for any system, because there would be no point to develop a system if there were no users. You just have to look hard enough, and have the patience, go to the right places, and find the right people. "0/10"

3.) If you want to play games, upgrade to Windows. "0/10"
  7. wibble

wibble New Member

You must've meant 'downgrade". But seriously, Gabe spoke the truth.
  8. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nah, sometimes in ##freebsd on freenode we kid around with trolls.. They come in, and be trolls as usual, for example:

Troll: "ZOMGZ, the FreeBSD handbook is b0rked, someone halp?!"
    FreeBSD smarts: "Sure, what's your problem?"
    Troll: "The handbook b0rked!"
    FreeBSD smarts: "What do you need it for?"
    Troll: "It seriously b0rked, ZOMG!"
    FreeBSD smarts: "Someone get rid of the troll >.<"
    Troll: "WAT IS TROLL?"
    FreeBSD smarts: "..."
    etc.

In the end, we joke around, saying

"Yes, FreeBSD is so 'b0rked,' upgrade to Windows!" and stuff like that

Please Register or Log in to view images

weeeeeeeee
  9. JohnnyAndroid

JohnnyAndroid Active Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    I've only used Ubuntu 8.10 so far and it's a great OS it doesn't crash as much as windows and it's very smooth, and customizable. It has other great features that I can't name off the top of my head. The hardware support is also good and there are many Windows programs that have Ubuntu alternatives. There are also tons of little programs like AWN, Compiz and Emerald that are very fun to mess around with. As for games, like previously stated I don't thing Linux is supposed to be for games as they don't have many. I've been having fun with Ubuntu but my laptop gave out and now it's sitting on my harddrive until I get a SATA cable to hook it up to my PC.
  10. wibble

wibble New Member

Ubuntu's an usable operating system that serves as a reasonable desktop operating system. But I find that half the fun is configuring everything. So really, I just pick the highly customizable operating systems backed by great documentation and community. So far Arch Linux and FreeBSD are my two picks: Arch linux wiki (with forums) and FreeBSD Handbook.

Funny Gabe, sounds like something Hiratai would do.