Ubuntu question

Discussion in 'Linux' started by seabear, Mar 16, 2009.

1. seabear

seabear New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So I don't have it installed right now but I have in the past and I'm thinking of reinstalling it if you can help me

How do I connect to the internet wirelessly? Dose it depend on my wireless card? Or what? I really want to learn how to use linux
    I have a marvel wireless card and I am using a Gateway laptop

I have this wireless card
    marvell TOPDOG (TM) PCI-Express 802.11n Wireless (EC85)
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, does it have drivers for your particular card? Does it see Wireless networks? If not, you'll need the drivers. Download the Windows Drivers from the hardware manufacturer's website. Then head to Ubuntu and install them with the Windows Wireless Drivers app. You may need to install it from Add/Remove or Synaptic Package Manager. Which might require a network connection. If you have Ethernet, use that temporarily.
  3. seabear

seabear New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Woah but ok um i'll try that because it dosen't even recognize my network so I think Ubuntu doesn't support my wireless card.
  4. beverly

beverly Guest

5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    First, make your own thread.

Second, in Terminal just type

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    OR follow this http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde
  6. Tommm

Tommm Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You need ndiswrapper (find a deb file for it on the Ubuntu site), save it to a memory stick. Boot into Ubuntu double click on it to install it.

Once its installed go back to Windows, open your drivers exe file with WinRAR (don't be fooled by the .exe, its actually a zip file). Copy the .sys file out of the driver EXE and onto a memory stick.

Go back into ubuntu and type ndiswrapper -i "driver on memory stick location"

Reboot and you will have internet.

EDIT: If you can't be bothered doing that you could try installing 8.04 (it seems to have more drivers) then do an upgrade to 9.04.