Ubuntu + OS 3.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jedimattk, Aug 17, 2009.

1. jedimattk

jedimattk Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I think it's simply ridiculous that Apple does not allow Linux users to sync their iPods and iPhones. OS X is built on Unix, no? Why not then show the open-source community a little love?

Anyway, since it's probably pretty unlikely that they will release iTunes for Ubuntu anytime soon, I think the community here needs to pull together and work out some way to sync without going through iTunes. I know the older 1.0 and 2.0 firmware versions could do it, but OS 3.0 does not work with any of the old fixes.

Why should we have to dual-boot Windows, or run it in Virtual Box, just to be able to put songs and such on our iPods? I've lived with Windows for a long time, and I'm just unwilling to infect my computer with it again, but neither can I afford to buy a Mac, so I'm sort of stuck here. What we need is a program for Linux designed specifically for this purpose, that is also able to work with jailbroken 3.0 firmware.

Anyway, I think my little rant is over now...

Please Register or Log in to view images

Does anyone have any suggestions for me that I may not have tried yet? Is there something complicated I could do with MediaMonkey, or anything in that vein - or, as I suspect, will I just have to wait before I can sync my iPod anymore?
  2. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Buy Mac or Windows...
    Or wait until the open-source iPod community releases more fixes...

Theres probably some sort of DiskAid like program for Linux/Ubunutu that you can use to manually put the music on there.

Other than that I have no idea...

Good Luck,
    iAppleCentral®
  3. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Have you tried syncing with amaroK ? AFAIK, it only works with music. Try running iTunes through Wine, CrossOver Office or Cedega. See if that works. Only Wine is open source.
  4. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Have you tried iTunes with Wine?

EDIT: Ninja'd by zDSpider

5. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, son. Recognize !
  6. jedimattk

jedimattk Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    It doesn't work in Wine. Apparently, one must have Windows itself running somehow or other to get it running. Ah, well, I guess it's time to take another look at Hackintosh

7. DigitalSoul

DigitalSoul New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I would so work on it if I had Linux programming exp.
  8. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You could probably get away with dual booting a light version of Windows XP (such as MicroXP) on a mear 1 GB partition.

Just as long as you move the iTunes library on another drive/partition (by holding Shift when you start iTunes and choosing a different folder).

The Windows folder from a clean MicroXP install takes up about 200 MB, which is half less than Wine. Plus a ~300 MB pagefile.sys... Plus your average drivers... 1 GB is more than enough for WINDOWS.
  9. t3horeo

t3horeo New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    uhh if i'm not mistaken, songbird can sync songs to ipods and i think it runs on linux as well as windows.