Ubuntu Help :D

Discussion in 'Linux' started by MrFairladyz, Dec 25, 2008.

1. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, i just got a fresh 8.10 install on an external hdd yesterday and i need a bit of help. What do i do with tar.gz or whatever files? do i right click>>open just like .deb files? also, i cant seem to get compiz fusion to work. I have it installed and i checked all of the right things, but none of the effects actually work... how do i make t into a sphere after i checked all of the sphere settings, how do i make the window changing effects after ive checked all of the settings, etc. its almost like its not enabled. can you also tell me any must-have linux apps? english plz, im a linux n00b. im lookin for help from anyone (especially you, sprint_user).

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. dima the great

dima the great New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    For tar.gz files check out this post: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1091747&postcount=4. It looks hard but all it requires is typing in the mentioned commands and having a little patience

For Compiz, make sure your video card driver is enabled by going into System>Administration>Hardware Drivers. If the little dot on the left is green that means it's activated, if not click on the 'Activate' button and the driver will be downloaded and installed.

As for good apps I can't say much, but definitely try OpenOffice.org (it's a complete replacement of Microsoft Office), Transmission (a Bit******* client) and Wine (allows you to run programs made for Windows). Also check out http://getdeb.net, there's a bunch of free software there.
  3. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    okay well i ditched windows fully and have intrepid running on my desktop. updating and all, just need some n00b tips and app recommendations (sorry to bump the thread)
  4. wibble

wibble New Member

if your using ubuntu then you probably have everything you already need.
  5. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    but not necessarily everything that you want.

For starters, if you are into looks you need compiz-fusion and emerald. If you are into a dock (you ARE a windows convert after all

), grab AWN (but make sure to read everything on it first).

I'd also give conky a google, it's cool and very fun to customize.

If you have loads of ram and don't mind using a lot of it, grab Songbird.

Quicksilver/Launchy App Launcher: Gnome-Do.

Obvious choice for Instant Messaging is Pidgin (may be included, don't remember).

Other than those, I don't see a need for anything else.
  6. wibble

wibble New Member

Like I said, you probably have everything you already need.
  7. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

dwm
    centerim
    irssi
    conky
    dmenu
    firefox (with MLB and compact theme)
    mplayer
    mocp
    r******* (or K*******, which I use for sheer ease)

Running all of those at once shouldn't jump over 250mb if you're doing it right.
  8. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Can we get a screenie of your desktop?
  9. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

http://waitwat.org/img/2009-02-12.png

I realize how crappy it looks. I just switched from mainline dwm to dwm-gottox for dual-monitor advantages and haven't taken the time to make it work the way I want.
  10. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, from the likes of your software seems like you have a clean, fast system. I rarely go over 350-400 mb RAM and I'm running Intrepid with Gnome, FF, Pidgin, Audacious, VirtualBox, OOO3, Compiz. (As we speak FF must have had a memleak because it's up to 140mb...gotta go kill that.)

But yeah, choose your software very wisely. Avoid packages that seem to cause system issues - the errors seem to compound very quickly and can be overwhelming to a new user. Try to minimize resource usage, and you will have a much more enjoyable experience. I just reinstalled Ubuntu and instead of installing Songbird (which is problematic but is a very nice app), I went with the much lighter Audacious. It's a much cleaner app, albeit with less overall functionality. Try to achieve the functionality/speed/enjoyment levels YOU like, and consider applications from many different reviews.sources.