Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex"

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Ex-Touch, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

Well, I just tried to run this sucker in VirtualBox, and VBox can barely handle it. Lol. When I started it up, I did notice a new wallpaper, and a slightly modified Human theme. I'm gonna burn it to a CD soon and try it regularly. Here's a screen of the new Human theme.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I tried to use this with my VNC but the mouse was borked, I hope they fix that.
  3. crzbassmaster

crzbassmaster Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    any noticeable differences in the way it runs, or programs? maybe even driver support?
    i have to do ndiswrapper because my broadcom 4306 sucks.

whered you get that awesome shoop da whoop background?
  4. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

I can't say anything about it right now considering I only had the chance to run it in a VM. I don't have any time tonight to burn it to a CD. I have InfraRecorder ready to burn it tomorrow in the morning and since I have early dismissal tomorrow, I can do it when I get home (if I get home before my brother).

I'll have a review tomorrow.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Well, Intrepid Ibex doesn't run with my nVidia hardware. I just read the website and it says that there are issues with nVidia hardware and they're going to fix it after it's release. So, I'll review it then. I got input not supported on my monitor.
  5. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the info. I was gonna try it out, but I have nvidia hardware, so I guess I'll have to wait...
  6. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

Yeah. It's only next Thursday. I'm fine with my current 8.04 anyways.
  7. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Same. It's amazing - this is the first extended period of time (well, two weeks is extended I guess) where I'm using Ubuntu exclusively over XP. The only time I've booted XP is to install ext2 dirvers.

The one thing that could use improvement for me is the OO suite. I know an update to 3.0 is coming out, but an interface refresh and feature set expansion are sorely needed. I'm sure they know nobody wants to pay for MS Office, but in order to convince people to switch to OO, they have to implement some impressive features (one thing that seems like it could be an AMAZING feature - auto word completion. With a little expansion of dictionary and refining, this can be the ultimate tool when writing reports).

Basically, everything else is impressive, and I'm totally convinced to stay in Ubuntu. (It's a wonder how all the eye candy is beautiful and adds usability!) I'm just keeping my XP install "in case." I've never been able to say this before.

And btw, I've seen your posts about your parents not knowing that Ubuntu is on the computer. I was the same way, until one day I was chilling, IMing, listening to music, and all that good stuff when my parents walked in (like I had something to hide, hah). They were like, what's this? I don't recognize this? So, I showed them the eye candy, and changed the theme with one click, and they were like wow, this is awesome. Then, my brother was like, can you do this for me? My parents said, "No - all this cool stuff would distract you from your work. It IS cool though." And they left.

So basically, dont be worried if your parents find out. If its a family computer, either show them how to use it, how to boot into XP from GRUB, or just install it on your USB drive (you can buy big ones for cheap). They won't care as much as you think (well, I dont think so at least...).
  8. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

My dad has seen me use it a few times, and one night he told me he wanted me to get rid of it. But I know how to edit the boot menu. (Hehe) So I just removed the entry. He can still see it in Add/Remove because I've installed it with Wubi, but I don't care. He'll probably eventually let me if he yells at me and I give him a big argument why he's wrong and blah blah blah... Lol. Anyways, I love my compiz and I don't want to get rid of Ubuntu. I have a 2GB that I'm thinking of installing it on. Although, I need to use it for high school, so I need to buy a 4 - 8GB sometime.
  9. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thinking about it now, it may be possible to install the core OS to a dvd, and have a /home partition on your hard disk. That way, when you insert the DVD, you automatically boot into Ubuntu, but when it's not in, you boot right into windows...the only thing is the drive partition will show up in My Computer...
  10. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

Lol. A folder called "ubuntu" shows up when you use Wubi. I don't care much. I'm not going to try hard to hide it. Plus, Ubuntu takes 5 minutes to install, and another 10 to update fully.