two ipods...one computer

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by richardcav, Sep 23, 2009.

1. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm getting set to buy a new ipod touch for work. I want to place some apps on one for work, and others on the one for home. Then there are a few apps I want on both ipods.

I only have one computer at home and my supervisor at work will give birth to a color copier if I even think about installing itunes -or anything- on his computer. All apps must be installed by him personally, and he'll know it if we do it ourselves. (Lots of trust here, right?)

Of course you've figured out my question by now. Will there be a way to create profile for each ipod without adding and removing apps and music through itunes syncing? The only thing I can see happening is to create two folders then change the file source for each ipod sync. It can be a bit annoying, tedious and even confusing, I'm sure.

Anyone else already run into this problem? Oh, and one more thing. Will I have to pay for the shared apps again?

Thanks guys!
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Legally you can up to five separate iDevices synced to each iTunes installation, as long as they are all owned by your family.

Each device will automatically have it's own profile, so no need to fiddle about.

You've always been able to share your App Store apps between these five iDevices, so no need to download them (and pay for them) again for each device.

You've always been able to share your playlists, music, films etc on a single computer but the new iTunes 9 'Home Sharing' service allows you share all of your music and videos between computers if you want to.
  3. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I am in the same position as you are. I have an iPhone, my wife a touch.

For the touch, I have it synch all music on the machine but we remove any apps (she only uses it as a media player with a few select apps - nothing like what I install).

Each time I add an new app on my iPhone, we have to manually deselect the app for the touch.

Since I don't want all music on my iPhone, I have created a few playlists and have set these to sych.

On the touch, my wife has photo's and videos which synch up - I have just deselected these on my phone which means I don't get them whicle she does.

After that each device does what you want it to do without worry about losing anything.

All works flawlessly...
  4. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks, guys!
  5. €p1c

€p1c New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Why don't you just <shift><click iTunes><create a new library> then have 2 separate libraries for each iPhone/iPod? That's what I do. No need for only syncing to specific playlists...
  6. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Didn't know you could do this...

Does iTunes know which library to use depending on the iPod connected? If you have to manually select then for me this is a show stopper since the Wife would want something as basic and straight forward as it is now (plug in, hit synch, walk away!)
  7. Clair

Clair New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Studangerous, is it possible you can help me? I bought 2 ipod touches this week and have had nothing but problems. I have just been down to the giant Apple shop tonight and a woman there told me that for each ipod touch I have I would have to download each app separately onto them. Trouble is I signed them both onto one account and it seems the second one won't connect to anything now.

Plus my itunes doesn't work - something that even Apple support can't fix. So I can only download apps through wifi. When it backed up my ipod it wouldn't transfer any apps onto the second ipod. And now when I try to create a new account for the 2nd ipod, it says the itunes has an error. Grrrr.
  8. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Your best bet is to restore any problematic devices first of all. Then download a free app direct onto your device over WiFi from the App Store on the iTunes account you use. Then sync them to the same computer and iTunes installation. Sometimes getting a second device set up on an existing iTunes installation can need a bit of leverage ad 'fettli,ng' to get it to work. I had similar issues with my son's new 3G iPod touch earlier this week.
  9. ipodman2

ipodman2 Guest

tranfer apps from one ipod to another

Bought another ipod touch 4thgen. How do I transfer apps to new ipod? All that is shown when I click on apps are icons not a list with apps to check or uncheck.
  10. BlueCat57

BlueCat57 New Member

My big concern is that game progress and personalization settings on the different iPod Touches will be lost if you sync several iPods to one computer.

While we each have separate computers and separate Apple IDs, if we are away from home we would be syncing to one computer. Since the message that comes up when you sync says that all apps and data will be overwritten, I am worried that game progress on the individual iPods will be lost.

Another concern is the backups. Are the backups named differently for each iPod? If I back up several iPods to one iTunes library does the backup process overwrite previous backups?

I have tried logging into different Apple ID accounts in the single iTunes installation, but the apps and other media are stored on the local computer not in the cloud. (Hmm, is there a way to point iTunes to a library in the cloud?) So do I need to store everything for every device in one library and pick and choose with each sync (but I’m worried that something such as game progress or bookmarks in a book that I’m reading would be overwritten) or do I need to set up separate libraries for each device?

Would setting up separate user accounts on the computer at the OS level solve this problem? So I would log off and back on to different accounts at the operating system level before each sync.

Would putting the libraries on my home server and pointing the iTunes installations to the server work? I’m still trying to figure out this server thing.

I'm a read the user manual type of guy, but this sort of thing might not be in the user manual even if you could find one for the iPod Touch. I don't like to experiment, especially with many hours of game play. Sure life won't end if you wipe out that progress, but the kids will not be happy about it. So I appreciate any insight any of you can give.