Two iPod Touches, Two Different problems :( PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Celtics, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Celtics

Celtics New Member

Hey guys I'm new here.

This looked like a great site so I thought Id try it out!

Alright here is my issue.

iPod Touch #1: 2nd Gen 8GB Jailbroken. When plugged into any computer it says "USB Device Not Recognized. Tryed to put it into DFU and Recovery mode but the computer won't recognize it no matter what. And while I had it on, I chose Erase All Content and Settings. Now when it turns on, it boots up to the Apple logo and and the spin wheel appears and freezes. I made an appt to the Genius Bar for Wednesday but I live significantly far from my "local" Apple Store and would like to see what I can do here before I bring it in! Oh, by the way, it IS still under the Apple Limited Warranty.

iPod Touch #2: 2nd Gen 8GB Jailbroken. Now with this one, its a hardware issue, I believe. When I click the volume up rocker, it turns the iTouch off. When I pres the Sleep/Power button, it turns up the volume and also puts locks the screen (sleep) I thought I read online that it could be a short wire? I tried resetting the iTouch, restoring it, turning off then back on, and the problem still occurs. This iPod is also under Apple's Limited One Year Warranty.

So, is there anyone here that can help me out? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    iPod touch #1: If you bring it in, Apple will see that you jailbroke it.
    They won't do anything for you; jailbreaking voids the warranty.

Try putting it into DFU Mode and Restoring.

iPod touch #2: That's a hardware issue. Restore it and bring it to Apple.
  3. Celtics

Celtics New Member

How can they tell the first one was jailbroken?

It won't even turn on to the home screen?

Thanks!
  4. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    iPod one: Keep trying DFU. Search on how to do it just to make sure you're doing it correctly. It'll work. Use a different USB port. Try a different computer.

iPod two: Check your Activator Settings (I don't know if I spelled it right). This app-addon is used by many applications and can change the functions of some buttons. Try going into your Settings app to find the settings. Choose Volume up and change that so it performs nothing (or puts the volume up). Then select Sleep/Wake button and change it so it performs the sleep/wake action.
  5. Celtics

Celtics New Member

iPod #2 is running iOs4 and is completely fresh. Not find that Activator setting.

And iPod #1 you really have faith in? LOL
  6. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    iPod two = Bring it into the Apple Store, it's hardware...

Please Register or Log in to view images

iPod one: if you don't get it into DFU successfully, the Apple Store will not take it because they'll be able to tell it jailbroken. This is crucial that you get it into DFU mode.
  7. Celtics

Celtics New Member

Ipod two: Figured just wanted to make sure!!

Ipod one: DFU mode so that it connects to iTunes is crucial or just getting into DFU mode alone?
  8. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    You're gonna want some sort of software running on the device. So you'll have put it into DFU mode. Then successfully restore. Most likely, this isn't a hardware issue, just a software, so Apple won't be able to do anything you can't do right now. Some other things you can do.

Reinstall iTunes.
    Restart your computer
    Change USB ports (I know I said this already, but it does work sometimes)
    Change computers (Same as above)
  9. Celtics

Celtics New Member

I got it to the recovery screen with the iTunes logo to the USB but cant get my computer to recognize it still?
  10. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Hmmm... That's weird. Are you running any big programs that would eat up your resources and slow your computer down? Are you using a USB splitter (Those 4-in-one port thingys)? Is your iTunes up to date?

If you answered "yes" to either of the first two questions, make it a "no" by doing the necessary things (stopping programs, disconnected unneeded USB items, ect.)

If you answered "no" to the last question, update iTunes, reinstalling it sometimes just helps out a lot.