Two iPod touches, same household -best way to handle?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sbelli, Nov 11, 2009.

1. sbelli

sbelli New Member

Tried searching and found it hard to see anything even digging through the results, but anyway, I recently got an iPod Touch and my wife is finding that she loves it too. So I'm buying her one.

However, I'm a little confused about how to go about setting them up. I thought I read that apps supposedly can be shared between up to 5 iPods in the same household.

But I have like 79 applications. She's probably only going to want a dozen a best of those (she's not a big gamer, but will want a few).

If I use the same account for her iPod on the same computer, obviously it's going to be a major pain in the a** to uncheck and check applications we want synched on each iPod. But if I create a second account, she wouldn't have access to my apps, correct?

Another solution I thought about was putting iTunes on her laptop and still use my account but only "redownload" the apps she wants and let her maintain everything from there. And I'd assume she'd be able to build her own MP3 library as well.

Anyway, does anyone know the best way to do this without it being a major ordeal?
  2. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you create a second account, then all the paid apps on the first account will have to be paid for again on the second account.
  3. iptlolage123

iptlolage123 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    no if its synced on the same computer even with two accounts theyll be authorized for the ipod
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Correct but a rather stupid thing to do...

Correct

Note that a single iTunes account can be authorised for up to 5 iTunes installations. Your wife could access your iTunes account and thus all of your apps on a second computer.

If you sync on the same computer they will be recognised as two different devices and the app set up is independent. i.e. you don't have to check/uncheck every time you sync.

Each device can also sync to multiple iTunes accounts. So your wife could share your apps and also have her own apps from her own account. Once the apps are downloaded onto the computer then you can sync them regardless of the account you are logged in as. Note that you will need to login to 'Update' apps to new versions.

You can manage it anyway you want. Try it out. Just remember that a single iTunes account can be synced with up to five iDevices and each iTunes installation or iDevice can have multiple accounts syncing to it. This is legal as long as you share accounts only within your household/direct family.
  5. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    We're not talking about 2 iPods w/ the same account, we're talking about 2 iPods w/ one account for each.

Say xxx@xxx.net had a paid app, iRa Pro. The other account, yyy@yyy.net would have to buy iRa pro again for money. It does not matter which device.
  6. sbelli

sbelli New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully, the studangerous approach will work. I'll create a separate account for her, but use the same PC for content since all of our music is on our main PC. And we can still share apps.
  7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks!

Thank you all for this thread. I know it's been a year now but I also have the same problem so reading this has been very helpful to me. 2 weeks ago my husband purchased an IPT4 and next week I'll be getting my own as well. We have downloaded purchased paid apps on iTunes and I want to get some of them for my iPod touch as well. Hopefully I can manage..

Thanks again folks!