"TV Out" not clickable on new Touch??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by muttsup, Feb 6, 2010.

1. muttsup

muttsup New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I just purchased a brand new 3G Touch at Costco 2 days ago. Bought the Component AV cable at the Apple store so we could see movies, etc. on TV via the Touch.

Plugged everything in, went into video settings to select "TV Out," but it's all greyed out and not clickable.

Called Apple support, tech had me reset everything, re-install software, etc., and still no luck. Tech told me I need to return the Touch to Costco and get a new one because it's something in the hardware, not software.

That just seems a little odd to me, so I wondered if anyone has had the same problem or if you think it is indeed a hardware issue.

Thanks!
  2. viperGTS

viperGTS Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Unplug the iPod, then select all of the settings you need, and plug it back in. It's not grayed out for me btw...
  3. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Do you have the TV Signal set to NTSC or PAL?
  4. koyut

koyut Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes make sure you get the correct signal.
  5. muttsup

muttsup New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I tried switching between NTSC and PAL, but it doesn't seem to make a difference, it's still greyed out.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    P.S., I did have everything all hooked up to the TV and it still was grayed out, but does it make a difference when hooked up which setting it is on (ntsc or pal)?
  6. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    it works for me. the only thing that was ever grayed out for me was my Wi-Fi button one time. The whole button for the Wi-Fi setting s in settings was grayed out and in italics it said No Wifi Available next to it. a reboot fixed it though.

Maybe you should reboot.
  7. Mkhcb

Mkhcb Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Essentially you need to take the following into account:

You are using a component cable and not a composite cable.
    This means that the red, blue and green are all video source!!! They (all 3 connections) must be connected to the video section of your tv, and not on the audio (red and white). If your cable has 2 red one, then the one located next to the white should be audio and the other should be video (anyhow just try swamping them on the tv, to see if you get a signal).

Also make sure that if you are in the USA and bought the tv in the USA, to have the video imput as NTSC. If you are in Europe, and bought your tv there, then use PAL.

Furthermore, these cables will only work when playing video only unless you jb and added certain repos to your ipt. So make sure you are playing a video when testing the cable.

Hope I could help.