Tutorial: Website Bookmarks on Springboard

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Canas007, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Canas007

Canas007 New Member

Many of you will not be updating to 1.1.3 for a couple weeks, unless the devs jailbreak it pretty quickly. So, while you are waiting if you want the feature of adding bookmarks to your springboard I have an easy tutorial that will explain how to get them onto a 1.1.2 (confirmed by 1pod_us3r for 1.1.1 also) jailbroken ipod. This is mainly for people new to jailbreaking, I'm sure other people have figured this out by now.

1. Download the attached zip file

2. Change the folder name to the name you want the app to be called

3. Copy and Paste the icon you want the app to have into the folder (I have an icon template in the folder right now, just delete that) (the icon has to be a .png file)

4. Open up the Info.plist file (I open it up with notepad or wordpad, but mostly any text reading applications will work)

5. Change the uppercase letters "Insert app name here" to whatever you called your app ( the string looks like: <string>com.INSERT APP NAME HERE.embark</string> )

6. Change the uppercase letters "Enter url for website here" to the url for the website you want the bookmark to open up to in safari ( <string>ENTER URL FOR WEBSITE HERE</string> ) (also, make sure you get the exact web url, it might not work even if u leave out a / at the end of some)

(P.S. you don't have to edit the default and embark file, but if you want what appears before the website loads to change you can edit the default file)

7. Save this document and make sure it stays as a .plist file (if it changes, when you SSH into your ipod change whatever is after the . in the file to plist)

8. Now SSH into your ipod (I use WinSCP, refer to this thread for download info: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9978) and drag your newly refurbished .app folder and place it into the applications partition of your ipod touch (press the back arrow until you can't anymore, the applications folder should be there)

9. Once you have dropped your .app folder change the permissions of the folder and anything in it to 755 (the folder should already be changed to 755, but the 4 items in it won't be).

10. Reboot or repring your ipod touch and presto! you have a bookmark on your springboard without updating to 1.1.3 firmware.

ENJOY!

Please Register or Log in to view images

(ignore any " " s and ( ) s in this explantion they are just there to point out certain things or give extra information)

Example:

Folder name: Wikipedia.app

Info.plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
    <string>en</string>
    <key>CFBundleName</key>
    <string>Embark</string>
    <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
    <string>Embark</string>
    <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
    <string>com.Wikipedia.embark</string>
    <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
    <string>0.1</string>
    <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
    <string>APPL</string>
    <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
    <string>1.0.0</string>
    <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
    <string>????</string>
    <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
    <string>1.0</string>
    <key>EmbarkURL</key>
    <string>http://wikipedia.org/</string>
    </dict>
    </plist>

PS: I know that there's a site that does this exact thing for you, but it doesn't work for some people. So please, don't post telling me there's a site that does this, cause I already know. Thank you.
    The site is: http://www.jonsthoughtsoneverything.com/iphone_apper/

Attached Files:

2. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
  3. Hungern

Hungern New Member

Can you upload some pics??
  4. Dis

Dis Banned

Or you could just go to the automatic version of this; google search iPhone Apper.
  5. Canas007

Canas007 New Member

For me at least, iphone apper does not work. This guide is for anyone who has also had this problem with iphone apper.
  6. inatightspot

inatightspot New Member

can we possibly turn on wifi automatically thru the plist file when
    accessing the app icon?
  7. Canas007

Canas007 New Member

Not sure exactly what you mean, but i probably wouldn't know how to do it, i can't code for my life.
  8. gnr69

gnr69 New Member

It doesn't work for me.. I can't see the icon on my springboard, but I can see it with ''Dock app''. But, when I click on it, nothing happens..

Help here, plz.
  9. 1pod_us3r

1pod_us3r New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks It worked for me I was using 1.1.1
  10. Canas007

Canas007 New Member

make sure the icon is a png file and make sure u set premissions on all the items to 755