[TUTORIAL] Using VNsea to connect to your iPod from anywhere in the world.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by psychofish25, Feb 17, 2008.

1. psychofish25

psychofish25 New Member

Many people use VNsea to access their desktop from downstairs while sitting on the couch, or anywhere in their Wifi network. This tutorial is to show you how to access your desktop from your iPod anywhere where there is wireless internet. For example, access your desktop in NJ while vacationing in Disney.

Although this seems a little unsafe, it is perfectly safe and being hacked over a VNC server is EXTREMELY rare. It is also easy to setup and use.

Objective
    1. Download VNsea on your iPod Touch.
    2. Download a VNC server on your home desktop.
    Note: you may neglect this step if you are running Linux.
    3. Forward a VNC port from your router to the internet.
    4. Connect to your computer from anywhere in the world.

Steps 1 & 2
    If you already have VNsea on your iPod touch and a VNC server on your home computer, please continue. If not, search for the VNC tutorial on this forum and follow the steps.

Step 3
    This step may be confusing to some people. So I will try to explain it the best I can. If there are any errors in these next few sentences, please say so or contact a moderator as I am not extremely proficient in networking.
    Okay first off, remember this magic number. 5900. This is the port you will be working with during this tutorial. Although you can use 5905, 5910, etc. Just stick with 5900.
    The first thing you need to do is type in your router's IP address in your internet browser. In most cases, it is 192.168.1.1. That number is your static IP and never changes. Don't be afraid to give out that number as no one can do anything with it. If 192.168.1.1 does not work for you, simply type 'ipconfig' on your windows machine's command prompt and look for a number similar to it. If that fails, use Google.
    When you access your router, login with your ISPs username and password. This is not the same username you use to check your e-mail, it is the default one for everyone who uses that same ISP. For me (FiOS), is is admin and password1. For most ISPs it is admin and password. If neither of these work, remember that Google is your best friend.
    Now that you are 'inside' your router, click on Firewall Settings (or anything close to that). It may ask for your permission and say that if you eff up, you're screwed. Well, just hit OK and continue.
    Now, go to the sidebar and select an option that is similar to "Port Forwarding." Again, look around, if you can't find it, use Google.
    Now you may seem that some ports have already been forwarded, these include ports for *******ing, instant messaging, or just browsing the web. Look for 'add' or 'new' and click on it.
    This will open a new menu. When you get to that menu, enter your computer's network IP address. If you use an iPod, you'll know it. If not, type 'ipconfig' to find it.

NOTE: The next few steps may vary depending on your ISP. These will be the exact instructions for FiOS

The next box will prompt you for the protocol. This is the type of port you wish to forward. Many ISP gives a selection box of preset protocols. Look around for 'VNC'. If it isn't there, hit 'show all'.
    The next box prompts you for 'WAN connection type.' Simply select 'all' or 'all broadband devices' and continue, this is the least important step.
    The next box asks what port you want to forward this server to. Simply select 'same as incoming.' If that is not an option, type 5900.
    Finally, your router asks you when this should occur. Simply select 'always' and continue.
    YAY! We're done! Hit apply like 6 times until you get to your routers main screen.
    Congratulations, you've successfully forwarded a port. This technique is used for anything from setting up a game server to accessing your computer files.

Step 4
    Okay, you've gotten past the tricky part. From here on, it's extremely easy.
    Go to http://whatismyip.com and jot down the giant letters at the top. This number is known as your 'dynamic IP.' Do not give this number out to anyone for you may be prone to hackers, yet don't be scared if someone finds it out. This number is used for the internet to identify your computer.
    Now that you have this number, go to VNsea on your iPod and add a new server. Type YOURIPHERE:5900 and hit continue.

Congratulations, you can now access your computer desktop from anywhere in the world.

Thanks much to Google, Wikipedia, and my Computer Science teachers.

If you have any problems please reply and they'll get answered. Also, tell me if I've made any errors in my descriptions.

Comments are appreciated as this took me a bit of work to type up for noobs to understand.

STICKY THIS PLEASEEE.
    1 person likes this.
  2. psychofish25

psychofish25 New Member

please comment
  3. hockeypanda32

hockeypanda32 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    hmm

So you have to have your computer on to do it though?
  4. android6011

android6011 New Member

simple yes

complicated you can google around for "boot on LAN" if the computer you are accessing is connected via ethernet and not wireless.
  5. Theliel

Theliel New Member

its much more easy use a DDNS and "wake up lan", so you dont need know every moment your IP
  6. poetofsound

poetofsound New Member

Got it setup to connect to my MacBook Pro. Very nice. Kind of slow my it is still cool to see your computer screen on the touch.
  7. x6blues

x6blues New Member

8. psychofish25

psychofish25 New Member

9. x6blues

x6blues New Member

how is that not safer? wut makes ur method different?
  10. psychofish25

psychofish25 New Member

Well first off, you don't give out any account info and open up a lot of ports. Second, that method is nearly useless because you need to have something installed to the network you're connecting to, which pretty much defeats the purpose. With my technique, you can connect to ANY network without installing anything.