Tutorial-Unzipping .zip files directly on to your iPod!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ellabee, Dec 20, 2007.

1. ellabee

ellabee New Member

I wrote this tutorial because I got hardly any help for the most part when trying to figure this out. It was as if those who knew how to do it, coveted this like it was some secret club or something. I know this will help alot of people out so here ya go!

Using the Unzip Tool and Safari DL plugin to download zip files and unzip them on iPod Touch

Step 1
    - Download and Install the following apps from the Installer:
    -Unzip
    -Mobile Terminal
    -Mobile Finder
    -Safari Download Plugin

Step 2-Open MobileFinder and navigate to the main root folder. Be careful not to mistake the main root folder and the folder inside Private/Var that is named root. To navigate flawlessly to the main root folder in MobileFinder, just keep pressing the up key [located in the upper left hand corner] until it is greyed out. Once that happens you are now in the main root section of your ipod. In the title bar it will say "/"
    Once there click the button labeled Create [at the bottom] and create a folder. Rename it to something simple and short. This will be where you will store your files to be unzipped.

Step 3-After creating your download folder, navigate through these folders in order from the main root folder [keep pressing up till it gets greyed out]. Then navigate through these folders in this order: private-->var--->root--->bin [otherwise known as /private/var/root/bin]. In this folder you should see the following files: funzip, unzip, unzipsfx, root.zip. You will now want to move these files into a different folder. In order to do that, click on one of the above mentioned files and then click on the File button [at the bottom] and then click Move. Then once this is done, go back to the Up button [upper left hand corner] and keep clicking till its greyed out and you are back in the main root. From here, scroll up and find the "bin" folder [its located under the applications folder] click it to open and then click "Paste" [at the bottom] to paste the file you moved into this bin folder. Repeat this step with all of the files I mentioned.

Step 4-Now find a .zip file on Safari you would like to unzip onto your ipod. Once you locate one, click it and a green button that says "download" should appear. Make sure that the file that is downloading carries the file extension .zip and not .php because .php will not work. Alot of times files found on forums etc will download as something like attachment.php or down.php. Not what you want! Once you find a zip, download it. Open MobileFinder and navigate to the Downloads folder that the plugin creates. These are located in /private/var/root/Downloads. Once you find your file move it to the folder you created. Click on the .zip file, click file--->move, then click up till it greys, find the folder you created in this area and click to open the folder, and then click paste. EASY!

Step 5-Now assuming everything is going swimmingly and you installed everything correctly, you will exit the MobileFinder app and open the Terminal app. Type the following string and make sure that you use the proper capitilization! CASE SENSITIVE!!

unzip /nameoffolderyoucreated/nameofzip.zip

It will then extract them into a folder [if specified...i can tell you how to make it DL and create a folder at the same time if you like] or create the single file right into the /private/var/root area of your ipod. [to find this area you follow the sequence of folders from the main root area: private-->var--->root] Then you can use finder to move the folder to the appropriate area on your ipod. If you download roms...they go into the rom folder. If you download ebooks...they go into the ebook area. got it?!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Its really simple, but it took me ALOT of trial and error and I finally got it today after much stress and headache. I wrote this tute in a way that I hope people can understand. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me. I feel like I really know this program now. My friend just told me to warn that moving files around if you are careless may or may not cause you to screw up your ipod so be careful and follow the directions carefully. but then again there is always restore ^__^ so no big worries anyways.
    1 person likes this.
  2. TheRapture

TheRapture New Member

Awesome Tut!

Sticky!!
  3. ellabee

ellabee New Member

awww im flattered

this is the first tute ive ever written EVER. once i figured out how to do it, i wrote everything down step by step...i know that i wish someone had posted something similar when i was struggling so i hope i helped someone!

4. Arran

Arran New Member

It helped me lol
    thanks
  5. ellabee

ellabee New Member

sweet! please let me know if this helps anyone else. im curious to see!!

6. ellabee

ellabee New Member

bumping for the early morning crew.
  7. ellabee

ellabee New Member

ok I just realized that the files I'm unzipping are going into my mobilefinder folder. can't figure out exactly why but just an FYI to look around for the file...if it says inflating that means it unzipped you may just have to look for it
  8. spinner

spinner New Member

Thank Jesus! I've been tryin to do this for weeks! Thank again!
  9. benn1230

benn1230 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    It sure has helped me! Thanks alot for making this.
  10. sangesf

sangesf New Member

Um... Slight problem....

You don't want to put your files into the ROOT, root.
    That's the OS space. You don't want stuff there.

Leave the stuff in private/var/root/"stick your folder name here" and move the zip/rar executable files into there. (as well as the files you want to unzip/unrar.)

You can ALSO add then BIN path to the Touch and then you could use zip/rar in ANY folder.

I would create a guide myself, but any time I've done it, it's never stickied... Apparently the Mods here only put their "friends" guides up, and I'm not going to be wasting my time helping people who don't appreciate it.

From here on in, I'll just watch and get all the information for myself and not contribute anymore.

I'll let you guys figure out the rest.
    (I was going to create a source too.. and add the "Scroll Wheel" for the Touch that people wanted, but this place has gone down hill so much, that it's not worth my time anymore. I'll just create it for myself.)

I'll just leech off of everyone else now, just like they've been doing to me for the past month.

fxs.

P.S. Thank the Mods for ruining what used to be a decent site.
    P.P.S. If you want to see any of my guides, search using my name... Wait! As a matter of fact, don't even bother. You probably wouldn't like a Faster iPod Touch, or More space for applications. (At least that's what the Mods here think)