[TUTORIAL] The Ultimate Guide to Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0 Jailbreak' started by red_5, Aug 5, 2009.

1. red_5

red_5 Member

Here it is. The ultimate guide to Jailbreaking your device to 3.0. This is a combination of other tutorials and things I learned through trial, error, and experience.

Mods, if you be so willing, sticky this one

THE PRE-JAILBREAK PROCESS

Backing up your iDevice:

--There are 2 ways to back up your content and settings. The first is through iTunes. This method will get everything except your media--

Plug in your device

Right-click on your device. Drop down menu appears

Click "Transfer Purchases"

Wait for that to finish

Right click on your device again. Drop down menu appears

Click "Back Up"

Be patient with the iTunes backup process. Sometimes it can take hours

--The second method of backing up is a little more tedious, but can be faster. NOTE: This method does not back up your App Store Data--

Download DiskAid or iPhoneBrowser. iPhoneBrowser is recommended as it is totally free, but DiskAid works on Mac.

Plug in your device

Create a folder on your desktop called JailBackups (for the heck of it)

Create 2 folders inside JailBackups: Library and Media

Open either DiskAid or iPhoneBrowser (which will be referred to in the future as "your program")

navigate to /var/mobile/Library/ using your program

Copy the following folders to your JailBackups/Library folder: AddressBook, Calendar, CallHistory, Mail, Maps, Notes, Preferences, Safari, SMS, Voicemail, Weather, WebClips, and YouTube.

Now, using your program, navigate to /var/mobile/Media/

Copy the folder DCIM to your JailBackups/Media folder. This may take a while as it is your entire "Saved Photos/Camera Roll" photo library

If you wish to backup your MxTube videos, copy /var/mobile/Media/MxTube to your JailBackups/Media folder

If you so desire, hunt around on your device's file system and back up anything else you may want.

THE JAILBREAK

Restore to stock 3.0 firmware!

Download your copy of 3.0 from iTunes. iPod Touch users, suck it up and buy it. It won't kill you. Yes it hurts, but it won't kill you.

Plug in your device

Click "Restore"

Acquire needed files:

Download redsn0w 0.7.2 from here

Unzip the file you just downloaded to a folder called "redsn0w" on your desktop. In this folder you should now have credits.txt, license.txt, README.txt, and redsn0w.exe

Navigate, on your computer, to C:\Users\~USERNAME~\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

Find the file ~device~_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw (or something like that) and copy it to the redsn0w folder on your desktop

Put your iPod into DFU mode and connect it to iTunes. To enter DFU mode, turn your iPod off and then hold the lock and home button for 10 seconds, then let go of the lock button while holding the home button. iTunes should say your iPod is in DFU mode an needs to restore, just ignore it and move on

Drag the IPSW file onto redsn0w.exe

Follow all the directions. WHEN ASKED TO INSTALL CYDIA AND ICY, DO NOT INSTALL BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. THIS CAUSES A HUGE CONFLICT IN YOUR DEVICE'S SYSTEM AND NEITHER WILL WORK!!!

If all went well, your device should now be jailbroken! If something went wrong, simply try again

RESTORING YOUR DATA

The iTunes way:

Plug in your device

Right click on your device. Drop down menu appears

Choose "Restore from Backup" and pick the most recent backup

Let it restore. As with the backup process, this could take a while

Doing it manually:

Open your program, either DiskAid or iPhoneBroweser

In your program, navigate to /var/mobile/Library/

Copy all the folders from your JailBackups/Library folder into the Library folder on your device with your program

Now, go to your JailBackups/Media/DCIM folder

Go into 100apple and create a folder called .MISC

Move all of the .THM files from 100apple into the new .MISC folder

Now go into 999apple and create a folder called .MISC

Move all .THM files from 999apple into the new .MISC folder

Now copy the DCIM folder from your JailBackups/Media folder into /var/mobile/Media/ on your device using your program

Restore any other folders/files you may have backed up

Put all your apps, music, and movies back on your device with iTunes

TADA!

You have successfully Jailbroken and restored your device!

NOTE: Cydia/Jailbroken apps must be reinstalled manually. AppBackup is hit-or-miss so it isn't recommended.

If your notes fail to appear in the notes app, change the permissions for /var/mobile/Library/Notes and all files inside to 777. There are many ways to do this, just search for them.

I claim no responsibility for damage to your device as a result of using this guide. It worked perfectly for me, it should work perfectly for you.
  2. ipodmail09

ipodmail09 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yay an old guide
  3. red_5

red_5 Member

Notice the part where you back up your stuff. Old? I think not. Haven't seen that anywhere else.
  4. gunny

gunny New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi, i am having problems with the apps. Now i followed the steps, and have Firmware 3.0, with Cydia on my ipod. with all apps gone.

i try to reinstall apps back into it, but its saying having problem of authorize/deauthorize the apps.

Is there anything missing? something i havent install in Cydia? please advice.

thanks
  5. red_5

red_5 Member

Double click on an app in iTunes. It should ask you for an Apple account and password. Enter all that correctly and hit enter.
  6. wicked1

wicked1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    After browsing the IPSW and clicking next I get this message:

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. red_5

red_5 Member

Try right-click/run as administrator.

Or try a different computer.
  8. wicked1

wicked1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    EDIT:Nvm restored iTOuch through settings>general>reset.erase all content and settings.
    And now I've got cydia icon on my itouch.
    Just one question,where do i get the apps and games.
  9. red_5

red_5 Member

For cydia? Just look through the sections. Install all the repositories for more.

If you mean non-jailbroken apps and games they can be found in your iTunes. Or the iTunes you got them from if it wasn't yours.
  10. wicked1

wicked1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yea yea got it all working thanks for your help.