[TUTORIAL] Simplest Downgrade EVER (any firmware)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jchaike, Mar 30, 2010.

1. jchaike

jchaike Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

Simplest Downgrade Ever Tutorial

Introduction:
    I would like to start by saying that although I have only tested this method downgrading from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2, I would assume it works for any firmware and any device.
    This downgrade doesn't require you to do anything to your iPod, such as go into recovery or DFU mode, its just a simple RESTORE button

Requirements:
    • an iDevice
    • Mac OSX (Not sure if it works for Windows)
    • The Firmware file you would like to downgrade to
    • xCode (if it works on Windows it would be the Provisioning Application)
    • A registered Apple iPhone Developer

One last note:
    Before I get into what the exact process is, please let me apologize in advanced for not knowing too much about this process because I kind of just stumbled upon it and decided to test and see what happens.

Tutorial:

1. First, open xCode, and go to Window -> Organizer​

2. If you haven't already, set your device to be used for development​

3. For me, I have Leopard 10.5 not Snow, so I cannot test and develop iPhone apps in xCode until I upgrade. So it tells me my xCode is compatible with certain firmwares. On the Software Version drop down box, it should show the current firmware version you are on. I have once located my 3.1.2 firmware file, but you must click the drop down box and choose "Other Version..." and located the IPSW file.​

4. So after locating a lower firmware file (I am using 3.1.2 in this case), a note should show up on the bottom of the dropdown box saying that your device version will change after your next restore. You can now press the RESTORE button next to the dropdown box. ​

Conclusion:
    So there you have it. The easiest way ever to downgrade your device. I am not quite sure of the exact requirements, so if you guys could help me out with that I'd be glad to update this tutorial to be more exact with the requirements.

Hope this has helped you guys out (I know it helped me out because I don't have Leopard Snow yet to develop iPhone apps =P)
  2. br0adband

br0adband New Member

Seems like this should work in theory but, considering the requirement to digitally sign off on the firmware so the bootrom will actually execute it upon finishing the restore and the first reboot of the iPhone/iPod touch, I seriously doubt this will actually result in a solid downgrade path.

Nice try but but but...

3. Aodhan97

Aodhan97 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    nice try however no way apple would let it be that easy
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Why not....? Developers need to test on multiple firmwares at times... maybe they have a separate signing policy for them. Anyway, it's definitely worth further examination. To dismiss a new find at this early stage is trite. I'd like to see others with developer status piping in here.
  5. Magnum

Magnum New Member

I would love to try this but I don't have a guinea pig ipod and I don't want something to go wrong with mine and have to restore to 3.1.3.
  6. almostregular

almostregular Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I wan to try but I only have a windows vista computer, how do u downgrade with this?
  7. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I wouldn't say it's the easiest, but it's certainly a very reliable method. Apple would have to allow developers to downgrade, so that they can test the App for older firmware versions. (This version goes right the way down to 2.0.1)

Might someone try this with an iPt3G? I'd gladly do it, but I don't have one.

Again, mad props!

To note, you can't do this on Windows, because you'd need Xcode. And there is not Xcode equvalent for Windows. (Don't go suggesting the Toolchain or anything of the sort.)
  8. br0adband

br0adband New Member

If I had the hardware to get a Hackintosh up and running at the moment I'd make the effort but, as it is, I don't (stuck with some AMD hardware right now and I'm not interested in mucking with it, after 5 years of working on OSx86 I'm a bit sick of it these days).

Would be interesting to toss this 32GB 3rd gen at it and see what actually might happen, however.

I wonder... I wonder...
  9. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Yes, you need to be a registered Apple Developer just to be able to download Xcode. I'm currently downloading Xcode, so I'll post my results when I can.
  10. br0adband

br0adband New Member

ChrisL:

What the hell device is that listed in your sig? A 4GB iPod touch 3rd gen? WTF man?

(yes, I get it's a joke but but but...)