Tutorial: Sending and Receiving text messages via WiFi with mail.app!!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by madmallard, Oct 27, 2007.

1. madmallard

madmallard New Member

1. first of all, install mobilemail.app to your iPoT.. (its an iPhone app if you didnt know) Use this guide if you're having trouble- http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1659&highlight=mail.app
    PROPS to michaelchan0427 for the info.

2. once it is installed and working properly without crashes, open up mail.app.

3. set up your existing mail account so mail.app will receive that email's messages. i strongly suggest you create a new email address on one of the listed providers devoted just for texting, so you dont have to repeatedly cycle through your regular mail.

4.once your account is set up, configure any additional settings to how you want them through the iPoT's main springboard Settings>Mail>........

5. for the person's cell phone you want to send the messages to, you will need to add the persons 10 digit number, followed by @ and the wireless provider's extension. (these are the wireless carrier's extensions.)--

T-Mobile: phonenumber@[B]tmomail.net[/B]
    Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@[B]vmobl.com[/B]
    Cingular: phonenumber@[B]cingularme.com[/B]
    Sprint: phonenumber@[B]messaging.sprintpcs.com[/B]
    Verizon: phonenumber@[B]vtext.com[/B]
    Nextel: phonenumber@[B]messaging.nextel.com [/B]

your provider not listed? check here. http://www.livejournal.com/tools/textmessage.bml?mode=details
    props to IANOREO for the site.

6. send the message, and/or add that person as a contact, so you won't have to keep entering it in.

DONE! when the person gets the text, they will be able to respond to it and their message will be sent right to your email, which THEN will go right to mail.app !

CAUTION: keep in mind most cell phone users are charged for incoming and outgoing sms messages.

rates vary from carrier to carrier. look them up to find out the costs.
  2. asado111

asado111 New Member

nvm i will try this!
  3. madmallard

madmallard New Member

when the person gets the text, if they hit reply, whatever they send goes right back to your email which is viewable on mail.app

so it works man, ive tested it with my own cell phone and i tried it sending a text to my friend. flawless. Lol free for you but watch out for the costs your friends might go through.
  4. 1pod_us3r

1pod_us3r New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    THANKS For the guide!
  5. pattyadams

pattyadams New Member

Ok @ teleflip.com must be an American thing as it didn't work with an Australian number. Is there a way of finding out the wireless providers extension?
    Thanx
  6. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

Which wireless provider do you use?
  7. hdwicked

hdwicked New Member

what are the extensions for 3,vodafone and optus in Australia does anyone know
  8. roflmao

roflmao New Member

If anyone could get Australian ones Id be greatful!
  9. pattyadams

pattyadams New Member

Telstra (Australia) I've tried a google search with no luck.
  10. pattyadams

pattyadams New Member

OK I've been searching and i found this site that should tell you the extensions for various mobile companies around the world

http://www.pixpulse.com/emailsms

...so mine should be telstra.com.au ...but still not getting it to work. I guess I may have to ring my provider....but if anyone has any other ideas they will be appreciated.