[Tutorial] Making an Icon Base

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by Calhoun, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Calhoun

Calhoun New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i was looking at my good friend Avenue B the other day and decided it would look nice in a clear, glassy form, but i know if i started on that i'd never finish it as a full theme

so i'm making it into a tutorial

note: this tutorial assumes you have at least a basic knowledge of photoshop's tools and blending modes/styles

Yield:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Ingredients
    -photoshop (cs5 trial located here)
    -common sense

Directions:
    1) first, make your canvas. i like 160x190, 16bit, 150ppi. then, fill it with a nice neutral gradient that'll allow you to get a sense of the base; i like a blue-tinted grey. if you want, you could just take this one:

2) next we'll make the rounded rectangle for the base. size is important here, since if you have an even number of pixels, you won't be able to center 1px things properly. 57x57 is my preferred size. what you're gonna do is right click on the rectangle tool and select the rounded rectangle tool. on the options bar, you'll see a small black arrow. click that and set everything up like this:

(be sure 'snap to pixels' is checked, and your radius is set to 4)

now click anywhere in the image, and your shape will appear! right click on your shape layer and click 'rasterize image.' now you can center it, if you'd like.

3) time for some layer styles. change the shape layer's fill to 0%, and then right click -> blending options and apply these styles: (the gradient is included in the zip file at the end of this post. it's black->white, with 0% transparency in the middle)

you should end up with something like so:

now for some gloss

4) make a new layer, and with the rectangular marquee tool, select the top half of your base, and fill this with white. ctrl+click the thumbnail (small preview in the layers box) for your base layer, and apply this selection to your gloss layer as a mask. then, add these layer styles to the gloss,

and you'll end up with this:

5) now for some edge highlights. duplicate your base layer, clear it of layer styles (so it's just a white rounded rectangle) and drag it above your gloss. ctrl+click on its thumbnail to select it, and go to select->modify->contract by 1px. hit delete, so you end up with a 1px white rim around your icon.

add a blank layer mask to this, and with a white->black linear gradient, drag from just above the top of the icon to just above the bottom. this fades out the rim, so it's just on the top and side edges. change the blending mode to lighter color, and the opacity to 52%, and add this outer glow:

note: make sure "layer mask hides effects" is checked under the standard blending options screen. it's the 4th box down in the middle section.

now, ctrl+click the thumbnail of your base layer, to select the rounded rectangle. go to select->inverse, and with white as your foreground color, delete this selection from the rim's mask, and you'll be left with

nearly done! one more thing before the base is finished:

6) make a new layer, above the rim layer. ctrl+click the thumbnail of the rim layer and, with a 45px, 0% hardness circular white brush, click in the center of the bottom of the selection, like this:

set this layer to overlay, 60% opacity.

and now your base is done! throw in a simple ipod glyph, with these layer styles, and you've got a pretty decent icon.

here's the psd, along with the gradient used in step 3.

the fine print:
    this tutorial is rigged, so you can't actually make a theme out of this without some creativity. transparent themes, see, can't have layer styles. the point is to use the techniques you learn in a tutorial for your own work elsewhere.

so thanks for reading. if you've got any questions, ask them here or ask me on msn.

edit: thought it looked a little bland so i added some blue&orange previews, and a few minor fixes
  2. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Good tut! im gonna have go at this!

oh, wait... i lack common sense :'(
  3. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Will be trying this tomoro, and posting appropriate changes for those of us on OSX. Awesome tut, should sharpen my PS skills a bit.
  4. JoeyB

JoeyB Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Wow, nice to see a tutorial from you!

I'll probably try it out in about 2 minutes.

------------------double post merged------------------
    You forgot to say to make the layer with the round rectangle's fill opacity 0%.

5. iMicky

iMicky New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Nice tutorial, tried it out and it looked nothing like yours, because I don't understand this step:

Do you mean the opacity or something else?

EDIT: Forget it, I just understood it.
  6. Calhoun

Calhoun New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ^aye, fill and opacity are two different things

opacity goes for the entire layer, so it'll fade out layer styles too. fill is just the actual shape or whatever, so you can apply layer styles over it for the transparent look
  7. iMicky

iMicky New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    well thanks a lot, really good tutorial

helped me out a lot.
  8. fLoPpYBuNnY

fLoPpYBuNnY New Member

Wow, an amazing tutorial from one of the best theme makers/graphic designers, Cryot.

Spectacular. I love it. Thank you so much. (I'm waiting for Gladhandler to be released

)
  9. 13iGGy

13iGGy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Great work. Awesome tutorial.

Just one thing, what did you use to make that glyph and how do I add my own?
  10. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    the glyph is really simple to make; just used the rounded rectangle tool with a 2px radius for the shape, and then with the marquee tools cut out the big circle, fill in the smaller circle, and cut out the rectangle

also why d'you have my avatar o_o